type of dust

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo24

Just wondering about what types of dust everyone uses. Ive always used Kaytee chinchilla dust.

Is this a good dust????

Attachments

• DUST.jpg
    DUST.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 5
it isn't the best but as far as I am concerned it is doable and easiest/quickest to get. I use blue sparkle (blues cloud for show chins) most of the time that I get in bulk at shows. You can get that and/or blue cloud (the best and most expensive) online. Several people on this forum sell it (might even be cheaper than pet store prices even with the shipping)

I used it when I was new to chins. I now use Blue Sparkle. It is cheaper, and I can get more of it. I have the Kaytee, as a back up, should I ever run out.

I used the kaytee dust, but I just got a 50lb bag of blue sparkle that a friend got for me at the Mansfield show. I think it's probably the same dust, but the 50lb bag was only 13. I say that is way better than 2.5lbs for 6 at the pet store.

Not sure about Kaytee is Blue Sparkle. I bought 14 lbs of Blue Sparkle from Chinchillas.com for $20 shipped. Not the best price per pound, but for including shipping I thought it was decent. Better than paying $8 per pound for Kaytee at the store. They both do have sparkles, however, but I don't know how much volcanic ash differs from one another.

Kaytee switched from being Blue Cloud to Blue Sparkle in 2003, I used the new sparkly kaytee once and hated it. That's when I started ordering it online and discovered the 50lb bags of blue cloud. At the time only Sunseed was using blue sparkle and I avoided that. They've since changed also, I haven't seen a can lately to inspect it.

All of the dusts are different, I've gotten some of everything with surrenders. Some of it is really bad (the scented sand really does not work) but most of it is useable.

As for what I use, I've dabbled in everything. Right now I'm using granular SweetPDZ and am in love with it for odor reduction, airborne dust reduction, and the fact that it is available everywhere Purina sells at $8/40lb bag. I feel it does just as good of a job as the blue cloud I have.

I have blue cloud for the show season, not sure if I'm going to use it or see how the PDZ goes over. Probably some of both. :))

For the sweet PDZ, what section is it in? I have a store by me that sells PANR and Mazuri feeds, so I'd be curious to see if they carry the PDZ. Then I'd just need to get some Cloud for Noon til after York.

I use Blue Cloud. I keep a can of Sunseed on hand in case i run out. I can get a can at the local Farmer's Market for 4 bucks. But i just love the way they "glisten" with the blue cloud!

For the sweet PDZ, what section is it in?
I've never seen a store display it, always had to ask. They normally keep it in the outbuilding or pickup area with the stuff that doesn't need temp control like 50lb salt blocks, bedding and lime.

This store is in a strip mall, I don't know that they have an outdoor storage. But I'll ask if I don't see it in with their horse stuff.

Back