Tummy issues... suggestions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leah

For like the past week or so, my stomach and I have been going round and round with each other. About a week ago, I woke up at like 4AM with the most awful stomach ache. It felt like there was so much pressure in my stomach that an alien was about to bust from it (I said that to my boyfriend, but he's never seen the movie Alien, so he didn't get it..). The next day, I took a friend of mine recommended taking some Gas-X because he said it may just be gas in my stomach. Well, the stuff doesn't work and just makes me so nauseous that I don't know what to do. My mom then suggested taking a laxative, and maybe that would solve the problem. It did for about a day or so, but last night, I got the same pressure feeling in my stomach. Tried taking the Gas-X stuff, but ended up very nauseous again. This morning about 5AM I was woke up by my stomach hurting again, so I tried taking some more of the stuff my mom suggested.. Now I've had the worst stomach cramps I've ever had all day. They were hurting so much earlier that I was in tears. I do have a doctor's appointment Tuesday, but I was hoping someone may be able to suggest something over the count to try. I'm desperate.

In the "old days," whenever we had stomach problems, my mother would suggest the enema - sometimes the suggestion was enough!
Always worked for clogging, though!
I'd be calling the Dr.!

You might want to try aloe juice; it is all natural, and very soothing to the stomach and intestines. You can get it at a health food store.

Also, there's nothing in it that would interfere with medicines.

The pressure feeling is right below my rib cage, but when it cramps, the pain is in my lower ab.

Gallbladder m'dear. That pressure under the ribcage (under your right breast?) is classic gallbladder.

No no no no no. I dealt with that daggum gallbladder all last year. On CnQ, I posted a ton about it and a lot of folks thought I had gallstones, but when I had a HIDA scan, nothing came up. The doc said she wasn't going to do another Ultra sound since it had been less than a year since I had one.. I think I'm just going to take the dang thing out myself.

But I dunno.. It doesn't hurt anything like it did back in November, and it's not really on one particular side. My stomach just feels like it is on fire from all the pressure inside. Blech.

Last edited:
If it's not gallbladder, is there flu going around your area? It's still hanging tough out here.

Maybe you have acid reflux? Try Pepcid AC or the generic Omprezole (sp??)20mg. They sell both over the counter
I take 80mg of Nexium (prescribed) a day AND a pepcid AC at night to control the acid that used to wake me up every night!

There was a flu bug going around here about a month ago that caused severe abdominal cramps and being tired. My husband was off work for 4 days with it and my dad had it for 5 days. I got off easy, 1 day.

A few years back, I had severe abdominal pain on my left side too. It persisted for 2 weeks, despite x-rays, frequent check ups, urine tests and a battery of other tests and home remedies. It eventually culminated into me screaming for my mom, while curled up in fetal position on my bed. I couldn't move, couldn't urinate and the thought of water made me dry heave. I lost 20+ pounds over the course of the illness and to this day, we're not sure what it is. Doctors had no idea, and agreed that my symptoms didn't match with a flu. My fiance's sister suggested an ovarian cyst, since that's the type of pain she experienced with hers... it wasn't for me, but any chance that you might have that issue?

Gosh, I so know your pain! I had been going through something similar for a year, and just recently figured out what was wrong. I had sub accute appendicitis! This is after I had begged doctors to take out my appendix for months. I had horrific pain in my right abdomen. All the time, nothing made it better or worse. I was tested for everything, had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, x rays, cat scans, everything possible. Finally my blood levels dropped so they had to operate, and do explorative surgery. They also removed my appendix, which was folded over on itself and oddly shaped. No real infection, but it was obviously causing the problems. They also found an ovarian cyst- which birth control pills quickly took away.

The only advice I can give you is don't give up, and if it continues, you have to force doctors to listen. They tend to check for the most obvious common stuff, when in reality, that is not always the case. Do research, learn how to ask the right questions and how to explain your symtoms.

The cyst pain is low- right by my appendix, but my appendix pain was actually pretty high up in my stomach, above the appendix by about 8 inches. The appendix is tricky and can mimic other problems, and with you being so young it is more likely than the gallbladder, from what I have heard. Usually older women get the gallbladder problems. It can even be kidney stones, they don't always show up in x rays or ultrasounds either.

Does certain food make it worse? Does anything help the pain (a certain position, bath, ect?) Is it sharp pain, burning, stabbing?

I am so sorry you are going through this, stomach pain is really horrible. I hope you feel better soon and that it is just a nasty flu.

Have you tried eating some yogurt with an active culture or Acidophilus? We use it for chins and my Dad has been using it after his radiation for cancer to fix alot of his intestinal issues. Couldn't hurt, right?

Pepto Bismol? Always works for me. I hope you feel better soon!!

A few questions....Do you have any heartburn associated with this? Does it get worse when you eat larger meals or eat at all? Have you been under any abnormal stressors lately? How long before you go to bed do you eat your last meal/snack? Have you experienced any fever along with these pains?

I'm sort of scared to use Pepto, because the last time I used it for when I was really nauseous, I ended up waking up 2 hours later with the worst stomach bug ever. I know it wasn't the Pepto itself, but it's kind of psyched me out about it.

I don't know if I would call it heartburn, but I do have the burning in my stomach. It pretty much just stops right below my ribcage. I've only felt the pain a few times during the day, but almost every single evening I get it. It's usually right around dinner time, so I've just been skipping dinner since the pain sucks so much; so usually I'll eat probably around 3 or 4 and that'll be it. Maybe a snack before bed to get something in my stomach. No more stress than usual- just school, sorority, boyfriend, family, and everything associated with those. However, I did just get home from that cross country trip, and there was a calamity nearly every day, so I was pretty stressed until I saw the "Welcome to Georgia" sign. I've only had a fever last night, which is when I had the worst of the pains ever. I was really sick to my stomach, nauseous, and eventually ended up throwing up.

What about stomach ulcers? Are you under a lot of stress?

I have had 2 ovarian cysts rupture but that pain is consistent for 4-6hrs and then it goes away so I don't think your pain sounds like what i experienced.

I was thinking possible hiatal hernia. Not totally sure though - but anything that involves ongoing or severe pain in the abdomen especially associated with nausea and vomiting and fever should be followed up by a exam by a physician. If you want to see why I was thinking hiatal hernia - check out some of the more qualified sites and you'll see. :)

Latest posts

Back