Tubes used for fleece tubes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TillyChinchilla

I went to Home Depot today and left empty handed because I just couldn't figure out what the appropriate tubing would be.

I was wanting to use PVC, but the 4" pipe looked a little tight. The thinner stuff was better, though still 4", but only came in like 8' segments. It didn't look like the right stuff either - too easy to chew.

Any advice? I didn't see any connecting pieces that were just a straight piece, or I would have gotten that, since I've used those for chins in the past, and they were never chewed much.

I'm wanting to make these with PVC because I have some seriously cardboard crazy chins.

I'm not sure about PVC pipes at all, so I can't help you there. But I can tell you that I got a few empty coffee cans from my grandparents. We cut the bottom off the can (you do have to be careful not to leave any sharp edges), put some holes in it, covered it with fleece, and it works great.

Might want to check at carpet stores - or even at the Home Depot or Lowes - and ask if they have any empty carpet or floor vinyl rolls that you could have. I think they'd probably be heavy duty enough and could be cut down with a hand saw.

How do you attach the fleece. I want to attach fleece around the different levels of our cage. They there sometimes and it leaks down. I know they will just chew off twist ties. My husband who is mister handy man with this stuff is out of town so I'm not sure what to do.

Amanda, I will give them a call, thanks.

Lydz, if you are wanting to attach fleece to floors of a cage, you can use grommets and attach a wire shower curtain hanger or regular clip to the bars. For some pans you can essentially make a "slip cover" but it depends on what you are doing.

You can buy a grommet set at most Walmart stores, all you need to put them in is a hammer.

For those of you that get the 10' of 6" diameter and cut it, what do you use to cut it and do you know if they'll cut it in store (and if yes, what store)? I've been on the hunt for tubing as well and am encountering the same problem.

Lydz, if you are wanting to attach fleece to floors of a cage, you can use grommets and attach a wire shower curtain hanger or regular clip to the bars. For some pans you can essentially make a "slip cover" but it depends on what you are doing.

You can buy a grommet set at most Walmart stores, all you need to put them in is a hammer.

I was hoping to attach them to the sides sort of as a urine guard. I've been using bedding and am new to the concept of fleece. I bought some the other day and put inside their house because they pee in one corner and I don't want the wood to smell too bad. Does fleece absorb well? How often do you take them to wash them?

For my pan, it's a pretty big slid out pan my friend made me at our sheet metal shop at work. I'll have to look up what a grommet is and see if that will work. I wish I had read about fleece before I bought all this bedding.

You could still use grommets (they are just metal rings like in some shower curtains) to attach the fleece to the sides of the cage, but I think they'd be a good target for chewing. You would have to wash them at least 2-3 times a week. Fleece isn't absorbent, but it does wick away moisture from the surface. It will start to smell pretty quick once it is peed on.

You could still use grommets (they are just metal rings like in some shower curtains) to attach the fleece to the sides of the cage, but I think they'd be a good target for chewing. You would have to wash them at least 2-3 times a week. Fleece isn't absorbent, but it does wick away moisture from the surface. It will start to smell pretty quick once it is peed on.

Any other suggestions. The box my husband made is completely enclosed, Even the bottom. The lid lifts open for cleaning but anything they do doesn't fall out. Sort of sucks now that I think about it.

Back