Trouble with Grommets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feistychins

The Chinchilla Lady
So I have been sewing all day making hammocks for the chins. I have my grommets and the tool you get at craft stores for them. It does not remove the little piece of fleece where the grommet has to go and the grommets themselves are miserable. :hair:

Can someone please tell me if there is a trick to making this task easier? Am I missing something on how to make it work better with fleece?

Any help would be appreciated

At first, I had the same problem, until I started doing this. I take the tool and place a hole in the piece before putting the grommet in. Then, I put the grommets in place (front and back) on the tool and stick the tool through the hole and punch.

The tool itself.

Looks like this one:

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/51/51407/pt-52954.jpg

Take the tool, put a hole in your fabric. Place your grommet top in the hole and the bottom on the other side. Stick the tool through the holes in the grommets and then press down to close the grommets. I'm not sure if this is the way its supposed to be done, but its the only way I can get mine to go through fleece.

Last edited:
Yes I did try to use the tool itself to make the hole, but I had a lot of trouble with the double thick fleece. Maybe it's just me. I have to try it again.

man i wish i had known about that tool i used the one that you need a hammer and you pound together like this

it was such a pain to use, i will have to go get that hand tool....

Back