Trophies vs. Ribbons

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjess10475

While I know that trophies go to champion/reserve champion, I just wondered...what are the ribbons for? I see them at shows, but don't really see them being given to people...just the trophies. So, I just wondered what they were for.
Just a goofy random thought that ran through my head. Thanks :)

Each animal gets a ribbon for its placing unless it gets knocked off the table. The animal will receive a 1st-5th place ribbon and they are given out in groups at the end of the show to the exhibitor. If it moves up to class champion, reserve class champion, 3rd best of class (for ECBC shows) or color phase champ, reserve color phase champ, color section champ, reserve color section champ (for MCBA shows), then an extra ribbon will be given. Some shows give extra ribbons for grand show, reserve grand show, male and female of show and so on, but trophies are given out for the top places. It all depends on the chapter that is giving out the awards and what they will give trophies for.

Hmmm. I just had 3 chins in a show last weekend and they didn't get any ribbons. One got a first, one got a second, and one got a third.
No biggie. Was just curious.
I'm a wannabe pageant mom, but have a ways to go :)

They had a bunch on the table. Maybe because I'm not the breeder of the animals I showed? I didn't see anyone get any. I kept waiting to see who was getting them, but didn't see them doing anything with them. Hmmm? Oh well. I'm just learning about showing, so I ask silly little questions. Thought I'd ask so I would know next time :)l

You have to pick them up at the end of the show, they don't hand them out. Even if you're not the breeder, you should get a ribbon for each animal. You can contact the chapter or show chair and ask if they possibly had ribbons for you.

Call the Chairperson of the show you attended and inquire. Many exhibitors do not want ribbons, so they are not always handed out. If you are owed one, they will be happy to provide you with one. (I was a Pageant Mom once and I treasure the ribbons won by both of my boys!!!)

ETA: Tiffany is faster than me!!!

Jess - your ribbons should have been there. I am sure Jan will get them for you if you ask her. Usually they don't hand out ribbons at shows, just set them in piles for each exhibitor to pick up when they leave.

There are also rosettes which are for section champs and higher (MCBA) or class champs and higher (ECBC). These aren't handed out either, just put in the piles with the other ribbons. =)

Thanks ladies :) And, Mish, I'll ask Jan, even though I feel silly doing so. Thanks for letting me know. Why woudn't people want their ribbons? Guess some people would end up with a ton. I just showed a couple of my pets to get some judge's opinions.
I'd like to have them, though, just so I can remember the first time I showed :)

Don't feel silly as you earned them and I am sure Jan will have no problem getting them to you.

Why woudn't people want their ribbons?

Two reasons: Yes, some people end up with a ton and don't want to take home 20-30 ribbons when they have hundreds already.

Secondly, ribbons cost the chapter money. By not accepting ribbons, exhibitors save those ribbons for the next show, saving the chapter from having to purchase more ribbons sooner. It's just a small way of helping the chapter financially and helping the show continue year after year. I don't know if other large ranchers do this, but I know the Shoots and the Ryersons usually leave their trophies they win as well, which are a bigger purchase than the ribbons.

I'm not at the point where I don't want my ribbons or trophies yet, though. I take 'em. =)

Back