Triplets- third set within the past year

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vyxxin

RAF Chins
First, I only have a litter of triplets normally once every year to every two years since breeding. This year (past 12mos) I have had 3! Yes 3 litters of triplets born. Two litters to the same mother. Her last litter was two extra dark ebonies and one extra dark ebony white. This litter is two ebony whites (one male, one female) and one standard (will be listed as an ebony carrier). Anyhow, posting pics to get some opinions on the one ebony white (the male, he's the runt). He's weird looking. Not sure what to make of him color wise? I don't have a ton of experience with ebonies so hoping just to get some insight. Their weights are all doing great, the smallest is around 60g (have to take his nighttime weight yet) and the largest is around 80g. The smallest is the gray looking kit with the white tipped tail and the largest is the female black with white tipped tail. The standard is the middle guy. Anyhow, here are the cuties! Mommy's doing an awesome job.

Attachments

• 100_3958.jpg
    100_3958.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_3963.jpg
    100_3963.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_3965.jpg
    100_3965.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_3967.jpg
    100_3967.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_3970.jpg
    100_3970.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 90
One of just the ebony whites, for comparison. The weird looking male is on the left and the super dark female is on the right.

Attachments

• 100_3974.jpg
    100_3974.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 80
Gotta love that girls bushy tail, looks dipped in paint! To me its hard to see differences in the two in pictures, you said he was the runt, is it possible he just is a bit behind in development? Looks like his sis hogged all the nutrients. =P

I don't know anything about ebony whites, but I think he'll change colors as he grows up...hard to tell right now. I do see what you're saying though; he almost seems brownish?

I know nothing about breeding, but you sure have a handful of lil cuties right there! And if you dont want the weird runt, I'll take him, lol. Ship to NZ??

He is possibly a cinnamon/mahogany - the reddish tint clears up as they get older (or he could just be off color). No way to know unless you give him time to grow up.

In an ebony white, have you ever seen such a thing? Parents are both clear as a bell...grandparents were the same. Not sure past that. I just never expected it to express in a white line I guess.

I have had a couple of kits like that (cinnamon babies). They have all cleared up now. The cinnamon is coming from the ebony in one of the parents.

I'll have to look over my pedigrees. I have one black velvet female that produces the "odd" kit with extreme brown when born. Of course they too clear up. Wonder if we don't have a common ancestor somewhere. The parents of this litter are my extra dark hetero ebony female...parents are Ryerson and Hykes. Father is my res.sec.champ ebony white male...parents are an MSUN female and I cannot remember the father offhand...maybe Hykes...maybe Lognenecker...hmmm... regardless, a bunch of healthy cuties which is what I like to see. I generally prefer twins but if a momma can do a good job getting them to weaning I really don't care how big the litter is. These guys are now 11days old and thriving. Always warm, always full bellies, no injuries, no fighting. LOVE IT! The smallest is around 70ish now and the largest close to 100g. I'll be keeping her most likely. Working with ebonies has been an adventure. I kept my lines clear of them for a LONG time. Not wanting to muddy bellies. What I've decided is to cross them in with whites for pretty mosaics. They do well on the show table and I always, ALWAYS make sure to denote the ebony lineage. I'm not trying to produce nice standards with these guys, I'm trying to produce nice ebonies and ebony whites and so far so good!

Updated pics of the triplets. SO proud of mommy. She's definitely redeemed herself this litter. Last litter (her first litter) was also triplets and she needed major help. This litter, triplets and no help whatsoever so far! The little male (who's actually not much smaller than his siblings now) is still a funky shade of ebony but we shall see how this litter matures. Definitely keeping the dark female.

Attachments

• 100_4035.jpg
    100_4035.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_4036.jpg
    100_4036.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_4041.jpg
    100_4041.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 38
I have had a couple of ebonies with that cinnamon coloring. From what I have been told, it usually fades as they get older and the chinchilla becomes very clear.

We have had born in the past 10 days-- 2 sets of quads and 2 sets of trips from our herd of about 25 females, all first-time moms. Think I should get our water tested?

I had triplets born today. The mother had them in less than five minutes. It's been a long time since I have seen a momma chin pop them out that fast! The problem was that the babies got chilled because she was so wet and left the kits alone while she was rolling around in the cage. I had to take a couple of them out and warm them up...one with very warm water in a bowl to get him quickly warmed up. Strangely it was 68 degrees in the room and they still were that cold. I'm glad that I was right there because I am sure that at least one of those babies wouldn't have survived.

WOW! Must be a year for it. Susan, you're very lucky you were there. One (or more) surely wouldn't have made it and yeah, never surprises me regardless of how freakin' warm the chin room is just how quick they chill off :( Best of luck to everyone with their large litters this year!

They sure pose cutely for you Vyxxin! I love the dark girls white dipstick tail. Keep us posted on how her colors change as she grows. =D

Back