Triplets...should I try handfeeding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacd061506

I had one of my girls give birth to triplets yesterday afternoon....
standard kit: 40g
Dark ebony kit: 38g
Medium ebony kit: 36g

They are now down to 38g, 36g, and 31g
None seem to be fighting but mom seems to make a lot of noise when they are trying to nurse, and the kits are constantly moving around under her, like they can't find a nipple. This isn't a first time mom, her milk was slow to come in with a single kit (took over two days) but with triplets should I try handfeeding, or supplementing mom with something? I do not have any other females who have kits so I can't foster any out.

Thanks

I won't say anything on handfeeding, but if you have a breeder that you are close to nearby you could ask if they have any females to farm out to.

I would supplement for now, supplement a different kit every hr, so they are still sucking. Sounds like mom doesn't have milk yet, but if you take them all away she won't get it in because they won't be suckling. Watch for fighting, it's close by.

The bigger two seem to be getting milk now, and they are pushing the smaller off. I tried the hand feed mixture with them and none wanted anything to do with it last night...or this morning but this morning the smallest one was pretty weak, so i tried a little harder to get her to eat...she is currently sleeping in my hand after finally taking about 2.5 cc of formula...not sure if thats should be an ok amount for a two day old kit?

That amount seems a little far fetched. Did she wear most of it? Usually I get about 1 ml in a newborn every two hours.

What size are your syringes?

I was looking at the wrong side when I typed the cc's...I don't know what I was thinking lol I know better then that...it's been a late night watching these guys. :wacko: it was about 2 ml not cc's

Is about 2 ml's ok for a newborn is what I meant to ask not cc's...

I can't find my smaller syringe since the last kit I had to hand feed but she was going to work with me and everything so I probably misplaced it. I will be getting a smaller one later today at the vets but the one I'm using now is big and has a long thin tiny tip... it has ml on one side and cc's on the other, and I knew how much and then looked at the syringe and saw cc so that's what I typed. :banghead:

I've been offering her milk every hour, when her siblings start on mom, they push her off so I take her out and give her milk and she eats about 1 to 1.5 ml though she is getting some on herself now. I put her back when the other two are not sucking and she goes back to sucking on mom also. they are all cuddled under mom, no issues until someone wants to suckle then they chase the smallest one out from under mom.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back