Trimming the tail for show

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

Various posts have mentioned this, and I was just wondering...
1. Why is this done?
3. Does everyone who shows trim the tail?
2. What exactly does it look like compared to a normal chin's tail?

1.The tail is trimmed because a dirty or offcolor tail can cast those offcolors onto the chinchilla's body, causing the chinchilla to look casty. Generally, on the tail, the tip of the fur is lighter and can get stained easily. The tail fur might also not be as bright as one would like. By cutting this fur, you will prevent those offcolors from being cast onto the chinchilla.
2. I don't know if one would need to trim the tail of a homo ebony since the tail would be solid black. I suppose if it was exceptionally dirty or if the chinchilla held his tail so that it mussed up the fur on his back, it would be a good idea.
3. It looks almost the same as a regular chinchilla's tail, just with shorter fur... and some do a blunt cut on the tip of the tail fur as well. I trim the tails of all my show chins but I do try to blend it in so that the trim looks natural. This is just my personal preference though.

I trim the tails to keep the tail from making the fur lay down in the back part of the chin. The trim can look different depending on the person that cuts it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, that clears it up quite a bit. I am hoping *fingers crossed* to get to a show later this year. I'll have to remember to keep my eyes open and see If I notice it.

You'll notice it. Some judges will comment on chins whose tails aren't trimmed to the effect that it would look better with a trimmed tail.

Here's a clipped tail right after coming back from a show last year:
kong1.jpg

Awww! All I can think of is its like a little chin haircut, lol. But yeah, that is really noticable, huh?

Even with the extra dark ebonies, you want to trim the tail. Most ebs will have some red on their tails due to staining. One of the judges has said at a few shows that it looks the most professional, and all tails should be cut even if the staining is minimal. They do grow back eventually but it takes a while.

Most of the time it grows back but I have a violet trimmed a year and a half ago that still looks the same. Poor girl!

I love the trimmed tail look. Also, its the only way i can tell my girl from my boy from a far distance! LOL (boy is not trimmed)

Over all it makes the animal have more eye appeal.. And for the judges the eye appeal may make the difference between the judges having a hard time deciding between to placements. If that makes any sense..But tail trimming is not a necessity and you will not loose any points for not doing it..In shows Tails an Ears are not judged

I too like the look of a trimmed tail. Sometimes I trim the tails on my non-show animals just to freshen them up. IMHO a trimmed tail also helps to make the body look more "cobby," or plumper, which generally is a good thing on the show table.

how do you go with trimming the tail?
i love the looks of the trim and clean tail
anyone have video? or pics or even steps?

Sometimes I will do it to littermates... like if I have 2 similar ebony females born to a litter then I will just trim one of the tails to tell it apart.

Back