Treating sciatica without pain meds?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

My doctor recently told me he thinks I have sciatica. I have pain radiating from my right buttock down my right leg. It hurts to sit for long periods of time, which stinks during my three hour lectures :p

I saw a physical therapist about five weeks ago who thought it was a pulled glut. My normal doctor saw me a few days ago.

I have no insurance, so really can't afford test or anything. My doctor treats the uninsured.

They told me to take ibeprophin. It makes me sick. I would rather suffer the pain than take it. They have tried stronger anti- inflamotories but those messed up my stomach. I can take Tylenol, but it doesn't do much for the pain, it helps a little.

I have started leg exercises suggested by my doctor, but can hardly move when I'm done.

Is there anything I can do to help the throbbing (after, and between exercise )that doesn't involve pain medication?

I have also been diagnosed with having lower back problems recently and am learning how to manage it. Physical therapy has helped me a little. It's also important to practice the exercises at home. If it hurts, then it is probably not the correct exercise or it's being done incorrectly. It should put your back and nerves in a position to alleviate pain, but you still feel a good stretch happening. As for pain meds, I try to avoid taking them unless it is absolutely necessary, such as the days when I can't even get out of bed because it just hurts to move anything. Otherwise, when the pain starts acting up, I like to use medicated patches called Salonpas. You can find them in any drug store or even Walmart. It's similar to an icyhot type patch, but I like these more, just imo. If you don't mind the smell, bengay actually works even better. Good luck!

As crazy as it sounds, ICE!!!

I always thought that lying on the heating pad was the best thing, but according to my doctor and chiropractor, it just brings blood to the area. It is great for initial injury, but for long term, ice therapy is incredible!!!

Get a frozen blue pack and wrap it in a towel. Sit or lay on it for 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. I even get up early in the morning to do this before I get up. As long as you are covered up and warm, it won't be too cold, it atually feels pretty good and it REALLY helps the pain!!! I am a total ice convert!!!!

The stretching feels good, but it hurts after I'm done :p

The exercises I do I got from the physical therapist. But they want $75 a session, at least once a week. I can't afford it. I'll dig out my ice pack at home and try Bengay. I'm willing to try anything.

I normal try medication, but when it makes you throw up and have bowel issues, it's not worth it. It's the first time I have ever preferred the pain!

I don't know if this would help with sciatica, but I have a lot of lower back pain and neck pain. Since I've started yoga, it has lessened the pain tremendously. Maybe you could find some inexpensive classes in your area.

Tennis ball to massage the gluten, ice after exercises and stretching, topical pain relievers (Biofreeze is a nice one, you can find it on Amazon), they can be utilized as a preemptive strike (before those 3 hr lectures), and diligently ensuring you are using proper posture at all times.

I am a massage therapist, have been a for almost 6 years, this is a common ailment that is very manageable so long as you work at it. Feel free to PM me, I might be able to find some more info (websites or videos) to help explain the home therapy I suggested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I'm going through something similar; an old disc herniation had my back muscles pulling my hip out of alignment, which tweaks my sciatic nerve when I bend or twist. In the past 3 weeks working with a chiropractor, I've gone from 3-5 nights a week of multiple spasms/hour and near constant numbness in my toes on my right foot to 1-2 nights of moderate to mild stiffness and soreness (like tonight since I did cages, dishes, laundry, and scrubbed the bathroom).

1) 2 drops each of essential oils of rosemary and sandalwood in 5 mL carrier oil (good olive oil or almond oil) used on the sore area as a rub.
2) Ice the sore area, 15 on, 15 off. A warm shower can't hurt if it helps you relax otherwise, but if it's sciatic nerve pain, the heat's not really going to help.
3) If you can find a chiropractor that'll work with you, gentle adjusting and ultrasound treatments or electrostim might help the soft tissues and muscles reset themselves.

However, that's not going to address the underlying source of the nerve tweak. Did they tell you it's a bulging disc or a disintegrating vertebrae?

I agree with the Yoga, it made a world of difference for me. Anytime something starts to flare up I do a 60 minute session and everything settles back down.

Just wanted to thank everyone. Bought some Bengay. Omg, it's wonderful! Dulls the pain so much! I don't even mind the smell :)

Renee, I am in a similar situation. I recently started back to school and WHAM, my butt hurts, all the way into my hamstrings and my lower back. One stretch that really helps, but it is a two person thing- I lay on my back and hubby sits on the floor at my feet. I make sure my spine is in a neutral position and he lifts my leg straight up until I feel the stretch, but NO pain. Hold for 30 seconds, release. Then stretch the other leg. Repeat 5 times. I feel so much better. If you are hurting after, you are pushing the stretch too far. It should feel better, not worse. But, on the flip side, as you loosen it, you will also experience discomfort in other places. But, like I said, I can tell if I pushed it too far if my low back hurts after s session. Ice is your friend, also I have to be careful about nsaids and straight tylenol makes me crazy so I got my dr to give me a rx for vicodin. I take a half of a 5-500 pill and it is just right. Doesn't make me sick or yucky feeling and settles the pain right down.
Yoga is a good thing. Remember that you are striving for balance. So if you are stretching your butt, you must also stretch you toes, your calves, your quads, your hamstrings. You need to keep your whole body limber. If you can't do a class, the Wii fit plus actually has a good yoga tutor on it. You can put in your problem areas and it will tell you what you need to do. You can find a system cheap on craigslist these days. Also, does your school have dance classes? If so, check out the bulletin boards around there, you may find offers for huge discounts for yoga classes and massage.

Latest posts

Back