Treat ball?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammie

My little guy has fallen in love with hard boiled egg yolks (turns his pointy nose up at the whites, oh well) but I want to find a way to make it last, slow him down, etc. Is there any way I can put it in some sort of treat ball or a DIY version? I don't want a chunky hedgie but he goes absolutely bonkers for it!!

I don't know too much about egg yolks - where they are on the "healthy <--> unheathy" continuum. Assuming that a little is okay (check with others on that assumption), best bet would be to feed him in moderation; ie, just a bit and not everyday.

I used to put Satin's mealies in a plastic toy dump truck. Some in the truck bed; some in the indented part of the wheels; some underneath. That way, to get all those yummy mealies, she'd need to go all the way around the truck, up into the truck, and push the truck. Little girl getting all fierce with her truck forms a good part of my happy memories.

How about making scrambled eggs. OR Country Scrambled where there are white and yellow parts in it that he may eat.

Remember, treats are just that. Only give sparingly. If you do, you wont have to worry about how fast he eats it. Also you probably dont want that sitting around for too long after you give it to him. Its gets that rubber layer of grossness on it.

Since during his out of cage time he usually just ducks under the nearest pillow to hide, I figured having something like a treat ball would keep him occupied while he was out and give him something he enjoys. Also, slowing it down would increase the amount of time he was enjoying the treat without increasing the amount of the treat. I like the dump truck idea, thanks!

Also, I understand the purpose of treats. A treat ball is a form of entertainment that makes a game out of treat time. This isn't rocket science. I'd appreciate other HELPFUL posts from other members who have fun games/treat ball ideas they've used with their hedgies.

All of the advice you have received has been helpful. Try crumbling the egg yolk up and giving a little at a time or hiding it around his play area.

I bought a puppy kong toy for poptart's treats. It slows him down quite a bit bc he is very cautious in everything he does. He will roll it, then look around, then food falls out, then looks, eats..repeat. I put a couple marbles in with the fruit and egg also for him to get past. I just bought a kong 'dumbell' shaped toy with little zig-zag grooves (for cleaning dogs teeth better) I put freeze dried mealworms in these cracks and he has to tug and roll to get at them. hope that gives you some help. It's what I use and it's safe for him too.

Latest posts

Back