Traveling with Gizmo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luci

Gizmo's roommate
Hey guys, its been a while.

Quick question though. I'm headed home tomorrow (woohoo for a 12 hour drive!). Anywho, Giz is going with me- I absolutely hate spending Christmas away from him. Anywho, in the past, he's traveled in his carrier and then I set up a temp cage once I get home. However, the last time we traveled, he was pissed off the ENTIRE vacation home- not just on the drive, but he was major grumpopotamus for a week (kacking at everyone who got close, biting, etc). I don't know if I just caught him in a bad mood or if he just decided to be angry for me putting him in a carrier and his crappy starter cage.

So today I went out and bought another temp home. Geez, for $80, you'd think I was starting over with a new chin! Anyways, I just assembled it and it looks like it'll be roomy enough and a bit sturdier than what I usually keep him in during trips. This is it: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25083
Yes, the bottom is plastic, but Giz hasn't been a plastic chewer and I plan on covering it with fleece.

Question- since it fits in my back seat, would it be ok to travel with him IN this cage? I know that typically, its best for them to stay in carriers. I just have the most pissed off chin in a carrier though.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I just dont want him being a Grinch for the holidays.

Personally, I would not put him in that cage during your drive. He will be much safer in a carrier.
Just put a picture of his girlfriend in there and he will be happy. If you'd like, I'll text you new pictures of Shelly.

Personally, I would not put him in that cage during your drive. He will be much safer in a carrier.
Just put a picture of his girlfriend in there and he will be happy. If you'd like, I'll text you new pictures of Shelly.

*sigh* I inherently know this. Have you SEEN Gizmo in his grumpy mood?? Its not pretty lol.

He does need new pics of Shell. It'll be a good surprise for him, considering he still has NO idea we're traveling.

*sigh* I inherently know this. Have you SEEN Gizmo in his grumpy mood?? Its not pretty lol.

He does need new pics of Shell. It'll be a good surprise for him, considering he still has NO idea we're traveling.

No I have not. However, I still worry about you making that drive. One time it was not so pretty. We want you and Gizzy as safe as possible. Tell him I said "Deal with it!"

I'll send you both new Shell pics.

Yah I think carrier is best. One slam on the breaks and it could be very dangerous. Most kids don't like carseats either :)

Do you handle him much? I have some that get really grumpy just because we had a deal that I give out the treats and pets but they don't have to get picked up - sometimes I violate that and they look at me funny for a couple of days. Applewood and shreddies usually get me back into good graces...

If the car becomes disabled and you have to walk or get in a tow truck, better he is in a carrier so you can take him, that and the small area will help in the case of a accident-he won't be tossed around like a ball in a smaller cage. This is based on experience!

The drive went well. Giz wasn't too grumpy in his carrier and I frequently talked to him and gave some oats. He was happy with that.

Right now, he's in his new temp cage. He's pretty confused, he stood in the center of it and looked around. If chins have expressions, then Giz definitely had a perplexed look on his face. It was kinda cute to see him be like "WHERE am I???". Anyways, he's still warming up to his new place. Not grumpy, just confused. Though, he gets playtime while I get ready for the day/bed.

I hate how Texas is so big!!! And Cin, no car mishaps this time, thankfully!

Latest posts

Back