Traveling with chin, not acting normal!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnarae8

I am on a 2 week vacation at my parents house and took my little chinchilla with me. Since getting here he hasn't exactly been himself. He is not drinking or eating a lot, he's still doing both just not as much/as frequently as before. He also doesn't seem to be peeing as much and his poops are smaller and pretty hard. He still eats his hay and is active during play time. We have only been in this new environment for a few days, could this all just be from stress? I wanted to take him to a vet just to get him checked out at least but there are not many or any exotic vets in the area :/ I've tried to make him as comfortable as possible in his temporary cage, he has plenty of chew toys, fresh water and hay, his little hut to sleep in and I bought him a chinchiller since it is a warmer climate where we are( more of a dry heat though with almost no humidity). I'm just losing sleep over him not acting himself and would love a second opinion on what I should do short of taking him to a vet or if it sounds like I need to find one immediately. Please respond I'm very worried!!!

When I travel with Gizmo to my parents' house, he'll be in a bit of a funk for a day or two. He's usually a lot less active, doesn't eat as much and rarely drinks. What I've done is try to acclimate him to his temporary surroundings. I talk to him and give him playtime everyday (in one of our bathrooms). This encourages him to be active, gets his gut moving, and kinda gets him out of his shell a bit. It usually takes him about 3 or 4 days to get to his usual self.

I would guess that it's stress related. Though, without knowing your chin, I can't really say whats "normal" or not.

It does sound stress related. Do what Luci suggested and hopefully that will get him back on track. Some chins react well to change and others do not. Try to get him moving around with some playtime and maybe it'll strike up his appetite.

Latest posts

Back