Travel carrier questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfstache

Beware the 2 headed chin
In preparation for going to a show for the first time I ordered a couple of three unit travel carriers. Now that I have them I have a few questions. I imagine that some sort of bedding material needs to be used, but I'm unsure what to use. I had considered using fleece but with the small compartments I can't think of a way to fix the fleece into place. That leaves me thinking that pine shavings is the next best option, but what does everyone else use? Also what should be done about water and food? Are there small water bottles and food bowls that work best for the travel carriers?

I have seen some people just set folded fleece into the carriers as bedding, so fleece can work, but I do not recommend it for long trips or for chinchillas being shown as the urine could puddle and stain the chins.

Most people use pine shavings as it is more absorbent and less likely to stain the chins. There are show cage feeders and also travel water bottles that are used. I have seen a lot of different kinds of both, but you can get show cage feeders from http://www.shootschinchilla.com/rummage-sale.htm for $0.75/each. Some people use waterers that are made from PVC pipes and brass valves because they don't drip. I am not sure where you can get them these days. The ones I use are from Shoots. I had them make me the bottle holders and ordered the bottle tops with tubes from them. The tops fit into first stages baby food jars (the brand doesn't matter, just "first stages") and they work very well and are easier to take around because they are so small. There are also plastic bottles, but the chins easily chew them through the show cages.

Back