transporting in cold weather

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partygirlha

bugs needs to go to the vet next week to have his teeth checked and possible filed (he's not a very heavy chewer and it's been 11 months since his last/first filing and in the past month he's lost some weight).. Anyway the vet is a long trip (1 hour on the subway)and a one block walk to and from the subway at both ends. the predicted weather is a high around 32'F. Do you think that lots of fleece will be OK? Do you think I should look into getting a hot wter bottle (and wrapping it in fleece) to help keep his carrier warmer?

Generally I'm the one packing his carrier with bottles of ice in the summer but I've never really thought about the cold weather.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I think as long as he has some fleece to cuddle in that he will be fine. I would put fleece on the bottom and then throw in some loose fleece in to act as a blanket. Also, being in the enclosed carrier it should be a bit warmer in there anyway.

When I have to transport in the cold, I cover the carrier with a fleece throw so that the vent holes are blocked from drafts. I usually throw in a fleece hammock or just a piece of fleece to lay on, give some hay, and cover the carrier to block the drafts. The draft (cold wind) is what will do more damage than simple cold.

Back