Transporting a chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerk

Chinchilla Servant
I am picking up a new chin in a few weeks(hopefully). She'll be younger and I have about a three hour drive.
What is the best way to transport a chin?
What kind of carrier should I get?
What should I bring with me when picking her up?

Sorry, this will be the longest I've had to drive to get a chinchilla and want to be prepared.

I like the Ryerson carriers, they feel secure in them. As long are your car has AC, you will be fine. For three hours, nothing is really needed. maybe a fleece blanket to cover the carrier if it is a sunny day. It probably will sleep the whole way.

Any small carrier that they can't chew out of is fine. Chins travel well. They tend to sleep most of it. Just watch the sun and temp.

For the longer drives I like to throw in a hay cube or two as well. Also,, I wouldn't recommend hanging a water bottle on the carrier when you are driving as more often that not it will leak all over the bedding and possibly get your chin wet.

When we make long trips (ours have traveled 12 hours before straight through)when we stop for gas that is when I give them water.

even for short rides I put in a chew, and yes. AC is a must. Also, a cool chin chiller in a cooler may not be a bad precaution just in case.

Back