Tooth Fell Out!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

I've been syringe feeding eeyore with critical care for the past two days, because I noticed he was drooling, turns out he was dehydrated and possible has some teeth issues that might need to be looked at after he gets better. Tonight I was feeding him, and on of his teeth fell out! He didn't even seem to notice, I'm not sure, maybe chins hold in their pain, but what does this mean? Will he never be able to eat on his own again? The vet is closed right not, the Emergency Hospital is open, not sure if they have dealt with chins. Any advice?? I'm horrified something like that happened, I don't even know how or why, I was being gentle giving him the CC.

I'm so sorry! That must have scared you so much.

You should get him in to see the vet as soon as you can to have that looked at. Generally tooth loss is from an injury, but it can also occur from an infection. A good chin vet should be able to diagnose what the problem is by looking in the mouth, but you need to have the chinnie xrayed or even put under so the vet can see what is going on for sure in his mouth.

Do you still have the tooth that fell out? If so, could you post a picture?

I'm so sorry! That must have scared you so much.

You should get him in to see the vet as soon as you can to have that looked at. Generally tooth loss is from an injury, but it can also occur from an infection. A good chin vet should be able to diagnose what the problem is by looking in the mouth, but you need to have the chinnie xrayed or even put under so the vet can see what is going on for sure in his mouth.

Do you still have the tooth that fell out? If so, could you post a picture?

Should I get to the Emergency Hospital tonight? Or just get him in tomorrow at the vet? I'm suppose to call tomorrow anyway to give her an update on him.

Attachments

• 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 73
That tooth looks awefully long. How does it compare to a dime or quarter.

I would get him to see a vet in the next couple of days.

Jessica

Obviously I am no vet and maybe I am wrong but the pics look like the tooth is broken off. I can't tell if it came out root and all or if that is just a broken piece which is what my first impression was since I have no idea what a root looks like. I don't know if you can see any remaining tooth in his mouth but if it is broken I would think he must be in pain. If it is all out it shouldn't hurt as bad but if there is a nerve exposed or something like that it would worry me. How is he acting? Does he seem to be in pain? I am soooo sorry that your little guy has this issue. I wish you both the very best and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both!

It does look like it broke off. The chin could be hurting, but I think it can wait until you can get the chin to your regular vet. An emergency vet probably wouldn't know what to do with this, call first thing and get an appointment with your vet.

Poor guy... Is he trying to eat on his own at all?

I don't see a root on that tooth. The root needs to be taken out so infection doesn't occur.

Poor guy, I'm so sorry he (and you) are going through this. I hope there is nothing more going on with him. Please keep us updated!

He seems fine, He was getting better before this happened and ate a little of his pellets on his own, that were soaked in water. I gave him some more CC and water.
We are on our way to the vet now. He's drooling a bit, I can't tell if he's in pain, but I heard they hide that sometimes. Hopefully the Vet visit goes good. This whole week has been hard, I'm sure more for him. I'm just hoping for the best. I checked on him every two hours last night.

Is it a upper or lower incisor?

It was the lower front tooth.

Everything came back good at the vet. I guess it didn't come all the way out, there was still some tooth in his gums. She filled the other one a little, she said he seemed much more energetic which was a good thing, and good he ate on his own last night. She said the tooth will grow back and it shouldn't be a problem. The teeth on his right, don't look all the way normal, but they aren't an issue right now, we will just keep checking on them.
The drooling may have been from the tooth when it fell out, as he drooled a bit after which worried me, or is could be from him being nausous from the last couple days which he is slowly recovering from, and he hasn't lost weight which is great. I guess everything just happened at once, I thought it was a worse situation then it was. He's still getting the CC until he eats completely on his own again.

I'm really glad everything's okay. That's so scary! I've been worried about my older, rescued chinchilla's teeth as she had been what I thought seemed to be pawing at her mouth. This gives me hope that if we do run into an issue, there may be a solution or the situation may not be as bad as I think.

To anyone: How do you know if your vet is capable to check teeth? I've never gone specifically for that. Any specific questions to ask when booking/consulting w receptionist?

So happy for you and your chinnie! Best of luck from here on out!!

Thank you, He is starting to get back to normal. I can't tell the difference in poop between him and tigger which is great, it seems to be back to normal, and he seems to be eating a bit on his own with the softened pellets, and seems to not dislike the CC has much as in the beginning. Things are definatly better! Which I am very greatful for.

I'm super happy to hear he's feeling better, that's great news! :D

It is! And it keeps getting better, He's finally starting to eat on his own, It was the soft pellets, but that is still a great improvement, and he actually took his treat last night. I'm definatly thankful he's improving, it was quite a scare!

Wait until he is back to normal before giving him any more treats. They can do a lot more harm than good at this point in his recovery.

Wait until he is back to normal before giving him any more treats. They can do a lot more harm than good at this point in his recovery.

The vet recommended trying to give him a treat to get something in him when he wasn't eating, he refused them then. He's now eating on his own, and as far as I can tell, back to normal. Normal poop, eating his softened pellets etc.....and last night he ate even more pellets then the night before.

So glad you guy didn't permanently loose a tooth. I'd worry about the upper tooth with no partner growing to long, don't forget to keep an eye on it =x

Back