Tolerance vs. enjoyment: reading a new chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrrayson

This is my first post, so hello–I've done some browsing here and this looks like an excellent forum.

About two weeks ago, I adopted a 3-year-old chinchilla named Gulliver from an awesome girl who has a sort of "chinchilla orphanage" in the suburbs around here. (If you see this, Robyn–hi! You're awesome.) He was reportedly initially hand-raised by a breeder and is used to being picked up, etc. When I went to get him he was a little sleepy and looked like he was almost falling asleep while she held him, which is exceptional.

I've done a lot of reading and Robyn, the girl I got him from, was very helpful. I'm sure I'll make some mistakes and ask a lot of questions here but so far I objectively think we're doing well. I attached a picture of him jumping on my shoulder, which he does often now when we play in the stairway. He is a lot of fun!

/98]9'''''''''''''''i

^ That was Gulliver's input on the matter.

I realize chinchillas are known for odd behaviour but here's something I'm having trouble figuring out: he lets me touch him a lot–he usually isn't difficult to pick up, he'll let me pet him like a cat, he'll let me rub his belly–but he doesn't respond to chin scratches and he doesn't approach me other than to snatch a treat and during playtime when he crawls all over me quite readily.

Normally, I'd think they either like something or they don't. I have experience with one other chinchilla belonging to a friend and she absolutely loves chin scratches but won't let you touch her anywhere else at all–quite the opposite of Gulliver. (He just jumped onto the top of my head while typing this!)

I'm thinking Gulliver is oddly neutral–like he'll tolerate touch even if he doesn't like it. Is this common? If they let you do something, does that usually mean they like it? I've decided to try to not be so overbearing and resist petting him just because I can and wait until he approaches me more.

What do you guys make of this? Is he just really well-mannered? Should I indeed wait for him to approach me and respond to scratches, even if that's never? I know I've only had him for two weeks and it takes a very long time for them to open up, but from what I've read this behaviour still seems somewhat contradictory.

Thanks,

Grayson

Attachments

• GulliverArmStaircaseCrop.jpg
    GulliverArmStaircaseCrop.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 55
  • GulliverPerch2.jpg
    GulliverPerch2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 49
Congrats on your new chin! :))

Some chins tolerate some things and not others. And probably as he gets to know you and his surroundings he'll become more comfortable and will approach you more. All of my girls, even the ones who would prefer not to be held will approach me when I'm near them for some attention.

Not all chins like getting scratched. It could just be his personality.

:wave: Hello & welcome to the forum.

/98]9'''''''''''''''i

^ That was Gulliver's input on the matter.

:wave: Hello Gulliver. ;)

It sounds to me like Gulliver is being a typical chin - some chins are more friendly & interactive than others. Some are "different" with different people - there are chins who react & respond differently depending on who is touching or communicating with them. Chinnies are definitely independent little characters.
I suspect that Gulliver is just beginning to settle down with you & over time, once he trusts you more, he may allow you to scritch him under the chin etc.
Patience is the key - the fact that he's happy bouncing over you & interacting with you while he is out of his cage is good. I actually think you're both doing well since you've only had him a short time.
He may tolerate (to use your word) you for a while but, again, once that trust & bond develops I am sure he will come around & once you find "that" sweet spot on a chinchilla ......... there's nothing quite like it - the head tilts over, the whiskers point up to the ceiling, the paw raises & keeps going up & the look of bliss on the chin's face is priceless. :)

A quick message to Gulliver - congratulations on getting your new human slave. I'm sure you'll have him trained in no time. ;)

Something that you'll learn in no time - chinchillas are weird. Just flat out little freaks. It sounds to me that Gulliver is really into you already, which is awesome. Some chins can take months to win over.

In any case, :welcome: to the forum, and wow Gulliver is a cutie!!

my chin is like that. if she doesn't want to be bothered she will still tolerate being petted or held. she is just a go with the flow type of girl. And she tolerates ALOT with my kids constantly buggin her

It's true that chins are just weird. Sometimes my boy likes being scratched/petted, sometimes he kacks and runs from me. During playtime he usually is his hyper bouncy self, but sometimes he will go sit on top of the toilet and just STARE at me. For like 5 minutes at a time! LOL!
Congrats on your new lil guy! They certainly do have their own personalities, and are very entertaining! Oh and we love lots of pics! Just sayin'! :D

Thanks for all the responses!

I've tried to leave him alone as much as possible so as not to get off on a bad start...but it's so hard because he's just so cute. It's a good lesson in self-restraint.

If anything, it seems he's been slightly more hermit-y the past couple of days. He doesn't approach me as much during play time in bigger spaces, even though he'll give me the happy/excited look and jump off the walls; however, he's all over me when we have playtime in the staircase–even spending more time with me than running up and down the stairs, which he seems to enjoy a lot.

I think he may have slightly made his paw sore because I saw him not walking on it briefly, but there are no signs of damage or swelling and he's walking on it again. I'm so afflicted by "neurotic new father syndrome" it's amusing.

Anyway, since I'm so new at this and have no wisdom of my own to offer on the matter in exchange for yours, here are some pictures of

1. My friend's chinchilla CeCe giving me the "bliss face" during some scratches; my rapport with her was a main compelling factor in getting one of my own.

2. A bad picture me but a good picture of Gulliver looking over my shoulder as I was internetting.

Thanks again, everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0196-2.jpg
    IMG_0196-2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 26
  • GulliverReadingOverShoulder.jpg
    GulliverReadingOverShoulder.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 28
Back