Toe bitten

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieP

I know that toes being bitten off is somewhat common and usually not a big deal. Munchkin got one of her toes chomped a week and a half ago and I think it is still looking pretty bad. I have been spraying it with blu-kote. Does this look bad enough to take her to the vet?

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 52
Have you tried soaking it in some warm epsom salt water?

It looks like you might need some antibiotics for it. It looks to be a bit swollen, although it's hard to tell redness through the Blu-Kote. I would at least try soaking it for a day or two and see if that takes down the swelling a bit, but it never hurts to have a vet visit if you're worried.

I haven't tried the epsom salt soak. I will try it, although she probably won't sit still for that. She is extremely hyper/spazmatic.

There is bone showing in the middle of that wound - I'd opt for keeping it dry & taking her to see your vet. She may need some antibiotics.

She is going to the vet in 30 minutes. Since there is bone showing, will that require anything besides antibiotics?

Update: the vet just saw Munchkin. It looks infected so he gave us Baytril for 14 days, and Metacam. We are to cleanse the toe with Neosporin foam wound cleanser and also apply regular Neosporin. He said once the inflamation goes down, the skin should start to cover the exposed bone.

Does this sound like the proper treatment?

I am always hesitant to use Neosporin cream because it seals in the infection just as much as anything else. Hopefully the Neosporin foam will be able to clean it out thoroughly so that it doesn't happen in this case, when applying the ointment.

I had a chin who had almost half her foot bitten off with bone exposed. It was horribly swollen and red. Epsom salt soaks and trimethoprim sulfa for 2 weeks and she was good to go. She actually enjoyed the soaks. I used a baby medicine cup that comes with children's cough medicine and added the epsom salts and warm water to that then held her and dipped her foot in. She was also a spazz, but she liked those soaks.

If you're using Baytril be sure to monitor her eating. If you're comfortable with it, have him show you how to give it by injection instead. It's a lot easier on them and doesn't give them the stomach upset.

I use a sterile cotton pad with the epsom salts when I clean up these types of wounds. The little tiny cup idea would work out...I'll have to try it sometime.

I like the idea of injecting the baytril, too. It's a lot easier most of the time than giving it orally. My vet always recommends injecting it into the large muscle of the back leg...but I've had vets tell me that it's okay to inject into the loose skin at the back of the neck. My vet thinks that it can sting a little and be painful...but the other vets said it was alright. (Not to start a debate...go with what your vet recommends.) Even with injections I would still give probiotic in fairly large amounts because it will be beneficial regardless... :)

I hope your chin is feeling better very soon. Toe injuries tend to heal up pretty fast.

Pearl got a toe bite from her cagemate a few days before she delivered. There was bone exposed. I took her to the vet as it became red and swollen. He put her on trimeth sulfa. I diligently did epsom salt soaks twice a day and made sure to change her bedding every 1-2 days. Once the swelling went down, the skin did re-attach itself. I highly recommend the epsom salt soaks. I have included pics for the before and after.

Before:
100_5814-2.jpg

After:
100_5941.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That is amazing how well that healed.

Does everyone think the Metacam is necessary for Munchkin? I've only seen her hold her paw up like twice. She runs on it and digs at my arm with it. The drug can't do any harm, can it?

I didn't use any Metacam for Pearl as she was nursing at the time I took her to the vet. She seemed okay without it.

It should only cause issues if used long-term. You can go ahead and give it for the little while you you'll be giving it.

Munchkin has stopped pooping as much - there are only 30 poops in her cage over the past 15 hours. I think it's because of the Baytril? It is so hard to give her the 6ml of Baytril much less a bunch of critical care. Would tri-meth sulfa be better since Baytril is slowing down her gut?

I tried several times last night, and she would not take any critical care. I think she is afraid of the syringe.

BTW, after we gave her the baytril last night, she was trying to spit it out. She opened her mouth very wide and was pawing at it. I think she really hates the stuff. She was eating hay last night but not many pellets. The vet is going to call me back regarding switching to sulfa. Another chin (Arnold) is on sulfa and he is eating and pooping normally. Baytril is some wicked stuff

Sulfa worked fine for my girl. I only use Baytril for the truly big deals, pneumonia, ear infection, pyometra. Other than that, sulfa is a pretty broad spectrum antibiotic and it covers quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back