Tired of Hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wranglersarah

Chewy, ZuZu & Recess
One of my chins, Chewey, hasn't been eating his hay very much lately. He acts normal, but I also noticed some of his poops are really small. He seems to be eating pellets and drinking water just fine. Any suggestions?

Rhino's been going through that sort of phase lately too with loose hay, but is still very enthusiastic about hay cubes. i've contemplated pulling his pellets a couple days a week (not consecutive days though) to encourage more loose hay eating (with no hay cubes given those days). hopefully members with knowledge and experience on this will chime in soon!

I gave him some orchard hay last night in a different spot in his cage than where his timothy hay was and he at all of that. That seemed to work. I hadn't changed hays before but I guess he was just getting tired of the timothy hay. I'm gonna keep watching him tho - hasn't seemed to have lost any weight - so thats good! Thanks everyone.

with Rhino, his interest in hay is waning despite being given different hay types (timothy, orchard, brome, and alfalfa). the only hay he still eats well is the cubes (timothy cubes). he does eat loose hay, but not nearly as much as before. no weight loss, holding steady at about 525, and Rhino actually looks more filled out than a couple months ago. guess it's just a phase for him.

A couple of ours quit eating their timothy hay like that once too and we got them some alfalfa and they went nuts over it

Back