Timothy Pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liewwan

Normally I give compressed timothy pellets as a treats wise. These pellets are like the size of an eraser on a #2 pencils.
I just found out that there is a mill north of me that sells the same pellets in 50 pound bags. Now my understanding is timothy pellets is nothing but just compressed hay.
Wondering if anyone feeds these as a normal basis? Or how would you offer them?
Hay cubes I put in their cage as a fee feed along with loose hay. I don't want to put too much in their cage, but again it's hay.

I wish I can, the mill is up in St Cloud so I can't get the ingredients until I go up there. I just called them a few min ago and ask them, they said it's just compressed timothy hay that is shaped of jumbo pellets.

i personally would not feed my chins a pellet if the company that makes it will not provide an actual ingredient list.

Isn't it just timothy hay? Why would it have any other ingredients if it is a bag of timothy hay pellets? There should be a tag at the bottom of the bag when you buy it to confirm that....most of the time with this type of product there is nothing more added. Use them up quickly, for some reason those timothy hay pellets seem to go stale within maybe six months or so.

Susan, it's just straight compressed timothy hay into pellets, my understanding there are no extra ingredients. I just don't know if I want to provide, loose hay, cubed hay and on top of it hay pellets. Seems to me it's too much, but than again hay is hay regardless of which form. Thought I'll get some other point of view on here before I get something that bulk, most likely I'll split it with someone.

if the pellets are just timothy hay, then i would be concerned about getting all the other vitamins and minerals that are found in most of the high quality alfalfa based pellets (like oxbow, mazuri, etc) into your chins. if you're planning on feeding this timothy pellet as a main-stay.

I fed 100% timmy pellets with loose timmy and alfalfa to a wheat intolerant chin who could not have any wheat. It can be done but this was a extreme case under a vets care and the chin had some issues with muscle mass and fur quality. Since you chin does not have issues I would not bother. If you really want a timmy pellet american pet diner sells one with the added minerals and vitamins.

Some of my chins like having the larger pellets as a treat or mixed in their chinnie pellets.

One customer of mine just couldn't do the loose timothy hay. It was causing allergy problems for her and her kids. She has been using the timothy hay pellets instead of loose timothy for a few years now and it has worked out really well. I like for them to have the loose hay regardless of whatever else they get because the more chewing they do to consume their hay the better.

I'll still be doing free feed of Mazuri mix Oxbow daily to clear things up.
My main question really is on top of their normal feed and loose hay. Would it be too much to also put both hay cubes and compressed timothy pellets (not to replace their current feed)? I don't want them to come out of the habit of feed pellets and loose hay, but would like to offer a variety of how they get their hay.

you could alternate which days they get either hay cubes or hay pellets. alternating types of hay is a good idea too, if they are not overly enthusiastic about their hay. whatever keeps them eating and chewing is best!

Latest posts

Back