Time to split up a pair?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaina_Organasolo

Hi all,

I need some advice again as I really don't know what to do for the best. Usually, I have some idea but on this one I'm really not sure.

I have a pair of ebonies here, Bill and Ted. They are very similar in age and were weaned together. So they are just over 2 1/2 years old. I have had to handle them alot recently due to a long treatment period for Upper Respiratory infection.

Just prior to the infection, I move them into a new (second hand, but only by a few months) cage, which was much bigger than their previous cage.

Today I was cuddling Bill, and I felt something sharp in his fur, just above his left hand shoulder. At first I wondered if it was his shoulder blade, but it didn't feel right. I searched through his fur to find the cause of the issue and to my horror/suprise I found a scab about the size of a 5p piece. It looks identical to when Stitch got bitten up by Lucky. (other chins) The sharpness was where the scab was sticking up, as it has obviously been knocked or something and then healed. The actual wound looks good. No heat, swelling or redness so it will probably heal up just fine - at least he has been on anti-biotics and no baths for some time so there's no vet visit required I don't think. From the scab and Stitch's progress I'd say it was at least a couple of weeks old. I believe it to be a bite, as it's too big for anything else I would say and it looks exactly the same.

I'm at a loss as to why it's happened. They can often be found cuddling and sleeping in a pile and generally seem fond of each other. I've not really heard any bickering or arguing between them, the only thing I have noticed is Ted is now trying to hump Bill at playtime. I don't know if the balance has been upset due to the big cage, due to the hospital cage, due to the illness or what. I have no idea.

I suppose what I need to know is should I split them? Would you say that once a chinchilla has bitten another, there is always that capacity for it to happen again and not trust Ted? Ironically, I was letting him playtimes at first with Spooky because I believed him to be the more nervous and quiet of the two. I really don't want to split them but not sure if I can trust them now with each other - but it's sad that they have always had each other. If I do split them, do I try introduce Bill to Spook or find Bill a friend. Bills quite laid back and Spooks quite spazzy so it might work.

I really don't know whats for the best, so I'd appreciate some advice. To say I am gutted is probably an understatement - especially coming from what *I* thought was my most Timid Chin.

The other possiblity I should point out is that I have had to give Baytril injections to them, so it is possible that I caused the scab.

Here's a photo -

PB110016.jpg

im not an expert but i think separating them would be the best choice for you and your chinnie. that scab looks pretty bad

Is the scab at a injection site? Have you seen any fur wads in the cage? Are you rinsing the tip of the syringe off in sterile water prior to injection or using diluted baytril? Baytril burn in a real possibility and abscesses at the injection site.

I'd say it looks like an abscess rupture to me too.

In any sort of disagreement or attack there will be some fur tufting. They normally don't just go for a big wound like that unless it is on the head and they go to kill.

I also don't think it's one random bite. On side effect of Baytril is necrosis of the skin, which basically looks like that. As for the humping, trim the humpers' whiskers back, and that should help. Otherwise I'd leave them as long as they are both eating ( some dominance issues are over food and one may not get to eat )

That looks like a baytril injection abscess. I've seen it often. When I give baytril injections I ALWAYS dilute the baytril and I ALWAYS give it in different spots. Baytril will definately cause sluffing and abscesses.

Interesting ..... I've never had a problem with abscessing or necrosis of the tissue with injectable Baytril (although I know they are possibilities) but I have had a problem with an injection of Rimadyl (given by a vet) a few years ago which caused a whacking great abscess on the back of the neck.
I don't dilute Baytril. I do, however, use a new needle to draw up & another new needle to give the injection.

It's always interesting to see how different people do the same thing........

Thank you everyone.
It could be at an injection site, The vet loaded the syringes for me so I had bags of pre-loaded syringes. It wasn't diluted as far as I know. The vet didn't say anything about rinsing the tip off, I literally took off the needle cap and gave the injections - the same way she did in the surgery.

There has been no fur pulling, chasing, tufting and they are cuddling most of the time.

Its hard to say on the eating front as they are being support fed due to the URI, They are however stable weight wise on only 20ml of critical care a day so they are both definitely eating.

Thank you all for your opinions, much appreciated.

I'd give the vet a heads up on what you think happened - it will help them with other chinchillas in the future. :))

Claire,

Years ago I had a URI go through my herd. I lost about half of them. Anyhow, I treated everyone with baytril. 5 developed abscesses from the baytril. It was awful. Some of them developed on the hip while others was on the neck. This was before I started diluting it. Now I don't have a problem with it but I'm still cautious.

I just wanted to let you all know that Bill is healing up nicely and extremely quickly! The wound is virtually gone and certainly unrecognisable. He and Ted are still fairly lovey dovey with each other :)

Back