time to seperate?? =[

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An additional thing you can try is to add a second bowl for food. That way there is one for each. If they are just humping and not chasing, pulling hair, etc., I would leave them them together and keep an eye on them.

They have 2 bowles of food on two different levels and 2 hay boxes the same way

One other thing, are there plenty of places for them to get away from each other if they wanted? I noticed when my pair of girls only had one tube they would sometimes kack at each other if one was in the tube and the other wanted to fit. Now they have one tube and one wooden house on a shelf, so that they each have their own hiding spot.

Are the bowls of food and hay on separate levels? Or are they next to each other? If they're close to each other it may help to move them further apart so that the one chin can't guard both of them at once.

One other thing, are there plenty of places for them to get away from each other if they wanted? I noticed when my pair of girls only had one tube they would sometimes kack at each other if one was in the tube and the other wanted to fit. Now they have one tube and one wooden house on a shelf, so that they each have their own hiding spot.

Are the bowls of food and hay on separate levels? Or are they next to each other? If they're close to each other it may help to move them further apart so that the one chin can't guard both of them at once.
Yes one food and hay box is on the top leval and the same way on the bottom level. there is a house on both levels, a tube on both levels and jumping shelves on both levels and water bottles on both levels, plus 2 running wheels on both levels, i have the cage set up perfect.

Are the houses and tubes identical? I ask b/c my guys are adjusting to new housing and roommates now too, and I'm noticing that they don't bicker over the fleece tubes that are the same size, but they do bicker over which one gets the wooden house.

I don't have a day off for the next 8, but I'm going to try to build 2 more wooden hides to see if that cuts down on the chasing around the cage at 3 AM problem we're having now. :(

I know how nerve wracking this process is (this is my second time doing it), but as pet owners, we tend to be a little more high strung about intros than is sometimes good for the animals. The first time Crash and my ex's chin Cervantes slept in the same cage, I slept on the couch across from it w/ the oven mitts in case I had to break up a fight. :)

If there's no fur flying, blood, etc., the best course of action is to just breathe and let them adjust. It's hard to find, but there is a middle point between 'watchful' and 'adding more stress to the chins'. In your case (which I had the first time I introduced Crash to another chin) I'd make sure the submissive chin gets more solo time w/ the food and water. I did this by starting playtime w/ Cervantes by himself in the bathroom and Crash by himself in the cage. Then they had a short while (maybe 10-15 minutes) of shared playtime before Cervantes went back into the cage and another water bottle and pellet bowl came out for Crash during playtime. I also offered Cervantes a treat (shredded wheat or a rose hip, usually) when I put Crash back into the cage to keep him distracted from bullying that little while longer. It seemed to help, but over time, Cervantes got more and more worked up instead of finding a balance, so when my ex and I separated, the chins did too. (Now it's Crash being the bully to YouBe, though this morning when I got up they were smushed up side by side on the bottom shelf. I'm hoping that's a good sign.)

Are the houses and tubes identical? I ask b/c my guys are adjusting to new housing and roommates now too, and I'm noticing that they don't bicker over the fleece tubes that are the same size, but they do bicker over which one gets the wooden house.

I don't have a day off for the next 8, but I'm going to try to build 2 more wooden hides to see if that cuts down on the chasing around the cage at 3 AM problem we're having now. :(

I know how nerve wracking this process is (this is my second time doing it), but as pet owners, we tend to be a little more high strung about intros than is sometimes good for the animals. The first time Crash and my ex's chin Cervantes slept in the same cage, I slept on the couch across from it w/ the oven mitts in case I had to break up a fight. :)

If there's no fur flying, blood, etc., the best course of action is to just breathe and let them adjust. It's hard to find, but there is a middle point between 'watchful' and 'adding more stress to the chins'. In your case (which I had the first time I introduced Crash to another chin) I'd make sure the submissive chin gets more solo time w/ the food and water. I did this by starting playtime w/ Cervantes by himself in the bathroom and Crash by himself in the cage. Then they had a short while (maybe 10-15 minutes) of shared playtime before Cervantes went back into the cage and another water bottle and pellet bowl came out for Crash during playtime. I also offered Cervantes a treat (shredded wheat or a rose hip, usually) when I put Crash back into the cage to keep him distracted from bullying that little while longer. It seemed to help, but over time, Cervantes got more and more worked up instead of finding a balance, so when my ex and I separated, the chins did too. (Now it's Crash being the bully to YouBe, though this morning when I got up they were smushed up side by side on the bottom shelf. I'm hoping that's a good sign.)

Yes the houses are identical, everything is LOL, i had my husband match every thing. im a bit OCD.

Latest posts

Back