Tiled Cages: Lets see yours

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
Hey! I am thinking about switching to a tiled floor for my Critter Nation because I've been using fleece liners for almost a year now, and they just get way too stinky way too fast for me. I've never actually seen a tiled cage, so I am wondering how to go about it. What do you glue the tiles on to? Is there a tutorial for this somewhere that I don't know about? If you have tiled floors, please post a picture! (Or just tell me how you did it)
Thanks!! :)

I just bought the flooring tiles at Lowe's and had them cut the tiles to the sizes I needed. Then I just laid them straight in to the bass pan. No glue or anything required..they are cut to fit together perfectly and are too heavy for the chins to move them. Each pan required 6 tiles. They come in 12 x 12 so each cage required 4 tiles to be cut to a specific dimension. For 4 FN's it cost me about $60. I can get some pictures later this evening.

i would love too see some pictures pls i am thinking of getting tiles..ceramic or granite wich ones did u use

I got granite, make sure it is glossed (glazed?) though as cleaning them off is much easier that way and they won't absorb liquids.

So they just urinate on the tiles and you wipe it up? Maybe I should look into this!!!

Most of my boys are litter trained so they have pans that they urinate in. If they do urinate on the tiles, it's usually because they have kicked out bedding/hay and they pee on top of that. If they do urinate on the tiles, I just wipe it down with some Nature's Miracle and paper towels. This is also how I do my weekly cleaning of the cage. Easy :))

I think I'm definitely going to have to do this, because the liners are too much work :p

I switched from liners to tiles and it's the best decision I have made with my cages. After awhile my liners would just have a permanent urine smell to them no matter how much I washed them and they are pretty expensive to keep buying over and over and I hate making them! I hate doing laundry to begin with and the process to clean the liners was very tedious: vacuum them off, shake them off outside, vacuum them again and then pick off every tiny piece so I didn't kill my washer/dryer. Switching to tiles has cut my cage cleaning time in half and then some. Just do a quick vacuum and wipe of the tiles and you're good to go for a quick cleaning. Usually takes me about 10-15 minutes for 4 cages.

thanks Stackie! I totally agree with you. I always try to pick those dang liners totally clean before washing them and it's a pain in the butt!

Back