Tick removal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susansheila

Welcome to my zoo
"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the
tick with the
soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds
(15-20), the tick will
come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when
you lift it away.
It's much less traumatic for the patient and easier
for me."

I tried this this morning. My son had a tick just starting to embed its self on the back of his head. This really works! :)

Good information to share Susan - especially this time of year.

We don't have the dreaded deer ticks out here (yet), so when we see them, we just yank them. You don't feel it at all and the kind out here don't lose their heads.

Good heavens! How did your son get a tick on the back of his head?!

My son is 10 and is always outdoors. So could have been any number of ways.

I was amazed at how quick the tick came out with the hand soap. No digging with tweezers. :)

*shudder* I hate ticks. Ugh, nothing was worse than working at a dog groomers out where there's tons of woods. And people would leave the ticks on their dogs until they brought them in and we had to pluck them all off. Um yeah, a tick the size of a blueberry is disgusting. And then they pop and the blood comes out.
I always felt so bad for those dogs. Seriously we would take probably 20 or 30 ticks off of some dogs.

I've had lyme disease twice (when I lived in CT) so I hate Deer Ticks. Hoping to not have to deal with them so much down here.

Good idea- I have lyme, ticks can be hard to spot and can be on low branches and tall grass since they sit for deer or whatever to brush by. <they can be as tiny as that dot too.

Ticks are horrible around Ohio right now. We've been finding them on students daily.

Ticks freak me out. I have to remove them from the dogs and cats all the time out here even with anti tick meds. Evil little buggers

I also recall using vasoline on them, they sorta suffocate and loosen their grip. My dog used to get them 'cause we lived by a lake. They would be huge but he lived til he was 15!

Back