Thoughts on this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I have a feed I'm thinking about trying and would be interested to see what people thought about these ingredients, levels are all within good ranges:

wheat middlings, alfalfa meal, rice bran, cane molasses, soybean hulls, rice hulls, dehulled soybean meal, dried plain beet pulp, corn distillers dried grains with solubles, brewers rice, yeast culture, ground flax, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, dl-methionine, salt, natural and artificial flavors added, lecithin, magnesium oxide, manganese sulfate, manganous oxide, ferrous sulfate, ferrous carbonate, copper chloride, copper sulfate, zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, zinc methionine complex, copper lysine complex, manganese methionine complex, cobalt glucoheptonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product dehydrated, bifidobacterium thermophilum fermentation product dehydrated, enterococcus faecium fermentation product dehydrated, dried whey, linseed oil, casein, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), niacin supplement, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, iron oxide, d-calcium pantothenate, soybean oil, calcium propionate (a preservative), ascorbic acid

I do not see any thing off the wall in the ingredients but would need to know a lot more info on it to make a decision to use it or not.

What is the cane molasses about? I was giving my boys the digestive support tablets by oxbow and they love them but I stopped cause of the cane molasses because that's like 1000% sugar right??

Usually cane molasses is used as a binder and is a very low percentage of the feed. What matters is to the fact of the feed being balanced or not. ALL hay and grains have sugar too.

Wish to see a bit higher protein, at one time I was feeding 20%...

Crude Protein 14.0%
Lysine 0.7%
Methionine 0.25%
Threonine 0.45%
Crude Fat 6.0%
Crude Fiber max. 16.0%
Dietary Starch* max. 14.0%
Sugar* max. 6.0%
Calcium 0.75% - 0.95%
Phosphorus 0.65%
Copper 40 ppm
Zinc 140 ppm
Selenium 0.3 ppm
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 75 mg/lb
Vitamin A 4,500 IU/lb
Vitamin D3 450 IU/lb
Vitamin E 150 IU/lb
Biotin 0.45 mg/lb

I don't dig the 6% fat with the low protein. Rather see lower fat like 3% and protein at 16-17%. Other things bother me also, but those are the main ones.

I'm with Dawn. I wouldn't try it due to the high fat content. I believe that is the silent killer in modern small herds.

Latest posts

Back