thinking of getting rid of the litter pan

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isabella Whateva

So my chins (in a Ferret Nation) use fleece liners and litter pans with wood shavings. My problem is that one of my chins uses her litter pan half the time, and the other half of the time thinks it's a toy that she should kick all the shavings out of. This makes a mess on the floor and it makes cleaning the liners a pain because the shavings stick all over the fleece.

I'm thinking of just saying screw it, getting rid of the pan, and just letting her pee on the liners. Of course I would have to change the liners more often, but I think it would be easier for me to just brush off the poos and hay than the stuck-on shavings.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone else do this? How often do you have to change the liners without a litter pan? And I know ideally liners should be changed every couple of days, but I'm trying to find out a realistic idea of how often you guys actually change them (without them being gross, of course)?

When I had 2 chins in the same cage, I only used Fleece liners, no litter pan. They would normally pee in the corners. I vacuumed Poop / Hay every day, and normally washed the liner 1-3 times a week. Having some sort of towel in between two layers of fleece helped absorb the pee odor.

Sometimes I only changed it once a week, and it didn't smell unless I had it near my face while shaking it out. I find using Fleece is much easier than Bedding.

My guys won't do a litter pan. However, they pull hay down and make a pile to pee on. We change liners once a week, but pull out the pee hay every 1-2 days

I have two girls in a FN 182 and I change the liners every third day or so. They could probably go a bit longer if they had to. I do vacuum poops daily in between changes. If I only had one chin, I could probably do them once a week.

I'm trying to get my chin litter trained just for the heck of it, but it's been a bit hard. First night she went in it (yay!) but not much after that.

I wash my fleece every 3 days and the towels under them, that soak up all the stuff. It's nice because the fleece stays very dry! I just throw them both right into the washer with some soap. I don't put the fleece in the dryer, only the towel.

I spot clean daily, by just taking the fleece outside and giving it a shake. Easy peasy!

They do get a little gross, you have to remember what's soaking it up whenever they go, in my case a towel. I suggest using gloves when handling the soiled products!

For most of the cages I don't use a litter pan and just let the chins pee on the fleece. I change out fleece once every 3-4 days.

Latest posts

Back