There is an opossum in my vents...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lishreese

I have just discovered an opossum in my AC vents. I don't think it can get into the house, but I am worried that the vents could carry airborn diseases that the opossum might have to my Bella. Do any of you know if this is a real threat? Should I find someone to take her for the time being until my landlady gets the opossum out?

Update: I took Bella to my office at work, they keep the AC at 72, which I know is just a tad warm but it's got to be better than being exposed to what could be a diseased rodent. My office is usually a bit colder than the rest of the place anyway because of its position. The groundskeeper is coming to try to get rid of the opossum tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions on how long I should wait to bring her back home after he gets rid of it?

I have never heard of airborne disease from them, sounds like some reaserch is in order ;) personally my worry would be actual contact. Good luck getting him out!!

I haven't heard of anything airborne for possums, we'd all be dead in the south if there was. :)) What you don't want is to ingest the fecal matter, I don't think it does anything to humans but it causes EPM in horses.

Thanks ladies! The groundskeeper got it out Saturday and I aired out the house just to be sure. Bella came back home that night and she's snug as a bug back in her big cage :)

Latest posts

Back