The Tornado!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I default to assuming people new to chins just trusted a pet store and don't realize plastic can be bad/expensive. But I usually say something when I see that cage b/c know how scared I was when Crash was in quarantine and got out. (He decided to surprise me by popping the cage apart to come sit on my foot under the computer. :whacko: ) Besides being a health and safety issue, I'm also a bit of a penny pincher and hate to see people waste money that could be better spent on willow balls and apple twigs instead.

I got a great deal on my FN142 @ ferret.com. It was right around $150 and $7.95 shipping, but their deals always change, so you might get even luckier than I did. I also found it more cost-effective to tile the bottom of it (about $1/tile + borrowing a tile cutter from a neighbor) than to buy metal bedding pans. The boys like to sprawl out on the tile on their sides/tummies after supper, like a bunch of guys after Thanksgiving dinner. I think it's adorable. :D

My favorite hay storage containers are: a poptart or pop up tissue sized cardboard box w/ plastic stuff pulled off (temporary fix), a small terracotta flower pot (watch the ones from China/Mexico for lead levels, and obviously don't drop them :( ), or a hanging hay basket I got from somebody on here back in March. It's not Tiffany or Tanya. Maybe Crysta? I can't remember, but I know they're in the classified ads section. Hay is just one of those things, though, that's always going to be part of the mess. That and poo seem to just spawn on my floors overnight!

Oh I totally understand why you mentioned it, I appreciate it. It's just someone always says something when I post pics and I always feel the need to explain myself, lol. I don't want anyone thinking I am a bad Chin parent.
This cage is bigger than the one she came with (which also had a plastic pan) and was only $25 on CL so I figured it would be good for now until I have the money for the FN.

I used the glass cup idea for now but like the idea of a hay basket. I will look into that:thumbsup:

Back