The Importance of Chin-Proofing ANY cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luci

Gizmo's roommate
Not sure if this is the right place for it. I wanted to put it in breeding/babies because it's a definite "must do" for owners of bebes.

Be sure that if you have any kits, or young chins, to take all precautions necessary in ensuring they do not escape ANY cage. Regardless of cage specifications, chins can and will finds ways to escape.

The video did make me giggle, and I thought it was cute. But I would NOT like to be the chin owner who came home to a missing chin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBznpqBO3KY

;)

Excellent video! There are so many new breeders that lose kits this way. The cage wire for newborns (also pregnant chin moms) needs to be no larger than 1/2" x 1" openings. Also for any chin, if you have a plastic base pan instead of a metal pan in your cage, it needs to be enclosed in wire because they can chew out of a plastic pan overnight.

Baby trouble maker! Cute video. If my girls could do that they would. :D

Wow! I had no idea that these little furbabies could climb so well and are so inventive as escape artists! What a great video! I hope this cute video does its job at reminding all of us just how careful we need to be in keeping our chins safely enclosed in their cages!

I have a temp cage that I use for a quarantine cage. The bar spacing is 3/4". Gerard, Twilight, Sky, Coco, Benny and Jet (who was barely 8 weeks old) have all used it at one point or another when they first got here. Cupcake and Donut were only 8 weeks old when I brought them home and on the second day Cupcake escaped the cage. I was so lucky I came down to where the chins were that night (I couldn't sleep, thought something was wrong) and found Cupcake outside the cage but still next to it. I quickly grabbed him and put him back in the cage just to see how he got out and the little stinker went right through the bars! I would have been so devastated if something had happened to him. Needless to say they both spent the night in a ryerson carrier.

I will never use that cage for a kit ever again!

ETA: That is one cute baby in that video and funny how it uses the older one as a mat when he falls off the bars.

I love when the baby flew through the air and suctioned himself to the cage bars! Wow!

Bahaha I know! I kept repeating cuz his wittle legs looked adorable!

I have a temp cage that I use for a quarantine cage. The bar spacing is 3/4". Gerard, Twilight, Sky, Coco, Benny and Jet (who was barely 8 weeks old) have all used it at one point or another when they first got here. Cupcake and Donut were only 8 weeks old when I brought them home and on the second day Cupcake escaped the cage. I was so lucky I came down to where the chins were that night (I couldn't sleep, thought something was wrong) and found Cupcake outside the cage but still next to it. I quickly grabbed him and put him back in the cage just to see how he got out and the little stinker went right through the bars! I would have been so devastated if something had happened to him. Needless to say they both spent the night in a ryerson carrier.

I will never use that cage for a kit ever again!

ETA: That is one cute baby in that video and funny how it uses the older one as a mat when he falls off the bars.

WHOA WHOA WHOA....who and who??? Have I been out of the loop THAT long???

Yup reminds me of what feels like a 100 years ago, when I had my very first pregnant chin in a cage like that. Thankfully the cage was in my bedroom where no other animals are and I found the kit hunkered down in a corner.

Ditto what Cindy said!

WHOA WHOA WHOA....who and who??? Have I been out of the loop THAT long???

Cupcake and Donut were Cassie's 2011 Christmas present! They are huge now and I need to post updated pics :D

I love that video! It's so cute how the baby looks like he's testing out if he can fit through, and makes his escape when no other chin is around. Super cute!!

Charm did that the first and second day we got her so we had to put this chicken wire type thing around the cage. It was so much fun keeping up with her but 3 weeks later and she's finally unable to squeeze her fat butt through the bars.

Latest posts

Back