The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am officially chin-obsessed! Just bought my first FN cage for the boys...even though it's almost the exact same dimensions as their current cage. I used the deal posted in one of the other threads to get it, and though the cage I currently have is just as massive, the accessibility of the FN can't be beat from what I am seeing.

Since it will be here shortly, does anyone have suggestions on the best way to gut it? I already have a boatload of ledges, a bridge, swing, and tube from the previous cage. Also my boys are used to the KD pine bedding, and their hay just free thrown in there (they like to play hide as seek in it before eating). Is there any benefit over these two things with using fleece and hay holders? Can't wait to get to redecorate!!

Well, I've just got the single unit for now because it's only Edgar in there at the moment, but here's what I've got. Pretty standard, but a good start.
photostream

So my cage used to look like this

fmhn45.jpg

but i grew tired of the dirt getting kicked out together with the poo, and so i did a few modifications.
I made ledges with pooguards in wood, and I have made them a little wooden house aswell. I Added a wooden plate as surface in both upper and lower part of the cage aswell.

i4kfas.jpg

Overall these modifications costed me €120 on materials (wood is expensive and tools aswell) and was worth every penny of it!

b6bok4.jpg

1118rgw.jpg

I also made some more chewing toys and I did hang up a piece of branch for them to nibble on!

Now I just need to find a way to protect the waterbottles...

Man, my girls would be peeing all OVER all that pretty wood, lol!! I'd be sanding and scrubbing EVERY day!!
You must have boys!

boys do it too Kara! lol. i'm forever scrubbing and sanding shelves, and replacing them much too often for my liking. silly buggers don't seem to know what a litter pan is for these days......

They are 2 boys and besides the little "accident" from time to time they use the litter pans for peeing :) So I guess I must be lucky :D

I forced the husband to look through all of your amazing designs and now he's very excited to get a FN. He says we're going to Home Depot this weekend to start making shelves. He wasn't even interested in Charm but now he's nominated himself her interior decorator :)

20z4k8p.jpg

Just set up my cage. Waiting for fleece liners, water bottle, customized bowl, fleece tunnel, etc. Using my dog's puppy pads for now, works great. Believe it or not, I bought everything inside including the cage with my own money that I worked for with my own job. Didn't ask my parents for anything.
51eul4.jpg

My 6 year old baby. Got him Christmas Eve, 2005. :)
ff1qqa.jpg

He loves his Spiderman hammock.
Photo quality isn't great, took these from my phone.

Here's my FN Cage!!

IMG_0527.jpg

The Pirate Ship "above the water"
IMG_0522.jpg

"Under the Sea"
IMG_0525.jpg

The bridge over the wheel is such a good idea!! I am totally doing this once I get my next pay check. I have two shelves right next to the wheel, and he jumps over on top of the wheel to get to the other, and the bridge will make sure its safe. :) I'm also addicted to fleece, I have to get more. I am getting a cuddle buddy for his birthday and I really want a customized fleece house. Other than that, all I need is a customized wooden house, a metal shelf, and another hammock, and I think I'm all set.

Just got my goodies from Camphor Chins....Bruce is in chinnie heaven with all his new stuff!
20120816_211533.jpg

I think he needs a bridge now and some more toys!

Ok after a month of buying, waiting on deliveries, and rearranging, I have finally finished the boys home! We will add a chinspin (lord knows where) when all the boys have reached at least 6 months. Wood accessories are from the fabulous Whimsy's Menagerie, and fleece from Shooper.

46a09d26-736f-2cf3.jpg

Oh my god that is one epic 3 story cage!! I love that!!

I am also in love with the pirate ship in one of the previous pics. It is just amazing!

If you look in the right corner at the top of the second level there is an L-Shaped ledge. That is directly below the hole in the floor of the third level. So they can pass up and down via that ledge under the opening.

I think they are asking how you would reach the 3rd level, not the chin. I think I would have to stand on a chair lol I am too short! :D

I was wondering how when i get my chinchilla how can i make my cage different and cool. is there any suggestions that i could afford with like a few hundred dollars? i want it to be cool but not overcrowded

Back