The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new cage is definitely a 142. It came with the fleece ramp covers and it screws together (wish I would have known about one that snaps together!).

I didn't realize my shelves were any different than anyone else's, they do fit down over the entire outside of the wire shelf part. I had no problems covering them though, I made something like a pillowcase and since it the cover was just slightly loose enough, it fit perfectly with fitting over/around the wire (hard to explain!).

Here is my CN I am hoping to get a FN for my new chinnie that I am going to get in a year or 2. but here is my cage :) You can't really see all the new ledges I finishd today but here goes:

Mo's:
022.jpg

024.jpg

Misty and Cookie's:
023.jpg

025.jpg

I am really thinking about joining this club. I picked up my 6 week old female mosaic two days ago. I have her in a starter cage which she loves. But I noticed last night that she has figured out how to squeeze through the horizontal bars on the cage which left her spending the night in her pet carrier, I felt really bad but I had to do something or she would have been gone! I will probably go out tonite and get a FN cage. So a few questions that I have are. Woudld this little girl be able to escape through the verticle bars? If you buy the 142 double cage are you able to buy the add on piece and make it a 3 sectioned cage?

Karleigh the escape artist :)
249501_10150193157935667_670345666_7416984_3545033_n.jpg

Yes, you can add on the 143 to make it a 3-tiered cage.

Your six-week old chin will be able to escape the FN also. You can buy hardware cloth to cover the outside of the cage to make it kit safe, until she gets older. She is adorable, by the way!

Thank you for the compliment & for answering my question. She seems to be getting cuter and cuter every day. I dug out an old wire cage from when I first got chinchillas that is the regular wire that is like a grid. Its two floors & I think it will be great until I receive my FN cage. I was shocked when I seen her squeeze right through the bars last night. I can't wait to deck out my FN cage. I went to the pet store today but wasn't spending the $299 that they wanted for it when I could find it cheaper online even with shipping. & I've been making hammocks and other fleece things for her, my breeder, & my friend's new chin. I cant stop buying cute patterns :)

Megg, what concerns me is that your 'breeder' let a kit go to a home before the usual minimum weaning age of 8 weeks. why did your breeder let her go early?

She was born on April 21 & I put a deposit on her on May 1 when I did this I was given a pick up date for when I could bring her home. I just went by what the breeder said. They show their chinchillas and have a lot of awards, they arent some random person who just breeds. I figured that they've done this many many times before & knew what they were doing. I can not answer why they let her go at 6 weeks because I am not them & just followed what they told me to do. This was my first time buying from a breeder and having to wait til weaned. My chins I had before one was bought at an animal auction & the other two were rescues. I'm sorry if I did wrong but I was just going by what the email said & what the breeder said. Last night I quickly modified a cage I already had, this one should be escape proof. It will have to work until I can put her in my FN and not have to worry about her escaping. If anyone sees anything wrong with this set up please let me know. This was quickly put together last night.
254825_10150194039205667_670345666_7427993_507217_n.jpg

New FN, need suggestions

I just came home with a FN 142 that I found on Craigslist for a steal of a deal. It will of course need some cleaning and spotwelding at the bottom.
What product/products should I use to clean the metal bars? There is some white residue (urine) on the bottom plastic pan. What should I use to clean that? Where can I find replacement liners with higher sides?
I have the kd white pine boards and all the tools to make shelves. What length screws are used and are they stainless steel? Lowes only has zinc plated screws, are they ok since they are inside the shelves (an outside of cage) or do I need to find a store that carries stainless steel one? I believe that Lowes did carry the stainless steel wingnuts. Bottom line, what size screws, washers, nuts and wingnuts?

White vinegar and water 1:2 usually works well for cleaning. If it doesn't quite cut it, though, rubbing the residue w/ peroxide and then wiping w/ more vinegar water might do the trick.

I'd chuck the plastic pans all together, unless you get fleece covers for them. I've tiled the bottom of my cage and they seem to really like stretching out on the cool tile on their bellies (w/ feet and nose sticking through the bars). Another popular option is replacement pans Bass metal company. (There's a thread about them somewhere.)

If you can get stainless steel washers, the zinc screws are fine. It's a determined chin that'll get to the screws inside a shelf. (So keep an eye on them.) I use 1 5/8" screws w/ 1" washers, but I don't use wingnuts. I sandwich the bars between 2 washers run over the same screw, one inside the cage and one outside. Check my album under my username for cage pics since that probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

You say you attached the tiles, was that to the cage itself or to a board? Did you use porcelain or marbles tiles?

I'm a member also...Thanks to Crysta I just added the 4th one to my collection! woo hoo
I need to take pictures and put them up. I have several different cages and like the FN best just because it is roomy you can do multiple things with them and they are easy to access to clean!

I will be a member soon! I have had a chinchilla before, when I was like 7 and the pet store told me to get a guinea pig cage and un knowingly, I did. He chewed out and I was made to get rid of him :( BUT now I am getting 2 baby male chins from a local breeder an ebony and a mosaic. My ferret nation will be here today. I am getting my chins on July 2nd. I ordered the Bass pans (THANKS TO THIS FORUM! I looked everywhere :wink2: ) I love this forum lots of nice people

Back