The feed thread

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chinchillas are not strictly pets. However, you also do not know me, and do not know what I went through.

You don't know how many tears I shed, sitting on the chinchilla room floor as I watched another animal prolapse, with nothing I could do. How many times I tried to put intestines back in, and tried to keep them in only to have them fall out within the hour. How many hours of sleep I lost trying to save them, only to have them die. The fear I had when I walked into the room--waiting to find someone else who was dead, or had a prolapse. How many ranchers, and experienced breeders I called bawling my eyes out looking for advice, and something I could do to stop the deaths. You don't know how bad it killed me to see Rayne, Styxx, Ariel(my first baby born here), Cyclone and many other of my adults, my favorites, and newborn kits who surely didn't deserve to die. You weren't here watching me call vets for advice; only to be told that "theres nothing we can do". Vets that I've used for YEARS, and have went to with problems with the chins in the past.

Don't you dare tell me I don't care about my herd, or my animals. No I won't pay $40 a bag for feed, that is insane. I will however pay a reasonable amount, that offers the quality I need for my animals.

No, I am not going to jump onto a lab diet, that someone who has been involved in chinchillas a very short time suggests. I stick to what those who have been involved in chinchillas for 20+ years suggest.

And I don't know why you think everyone is out to get those "small hobby breeders"... Considering I, Tab, Peggy, Tiff etc are still SMALL breeders. We are far from large ranchers.

Linda, I am left wondering by your posts whether the hamster communities you frequent use more flowery or emotive language when discussing things?
You are "flabbergasted" (an example of emotive language) by what you perceive to be a lack of emotional attachment to our chinchillas - I think you will find that nothing is further from the truth. Please don't confuse the sharing of factual experiences or information with being uncaring or unfeeling. I think you are doing both yourself & the forums members here a very great disservice. Members deserve better than to be judged for providing information without being emotionally needy or overdramatic.

This thread highlights one of the main "problems" with internet forums. The written language is the most misunderstood & misinterpreted medium for sharing advice or information. Behind every post, no matter how short or long, is a person with feelings - what does not come across on written posts are the emotions the person writing them feels. I know that sometimes posts can seem cold, unfeeling, or even blunt ("in your face") but the reality is often something far more painful for the poster. They are often experiencing painful memories of events - just like Peggy & others have posted here - but that does not come across as they share the bare facts of what happened. Some things are too personal to share (except in a factual way) & not everyone is comfortable expressing their emotions on a public forum. Even the smilies can't convey what someone is really thinking/feeling.
If we all posted what we felt every time a chin was sick or died we'd have horribly lengthy, emotional posts & we'd all need to take Prozac because it would be so emotionally draining & depressing to be on the forum!

Back on track:
I have changed chin pellets several times over the years with my chins for various reasons -
The best pellets I ever had were manufactured by Jordans but then they're stopped making animals feeds so I had to switch.
Mazuri was briefly imported into the UK but my chins did not like them & they were horribly expensive.
Charnwoods - a number of people have experienced problems with soft droppings - they contain a small amount of peanut meal so are liked by the chins (some people do not use them for that reason). I switched when I had a dodgy batch which I believe killed one of my chins. I will not go into details but I will say I am still very upset by the loss of my chin.
Harrisons - a good pellet but some of my chins lost a little weight on them & the price shot up due to increases in prices of the ingredients.
Duggins - used by many breeders but therer has been an issue with reduced vitamin E content - this has apparently been rectified. Also occasional issues with crumbling of the pellets.

Do I like changing feed? Absolutley not, since it raises my stress levels every time but sometimes it is necessary.

Although I have supported Labdiet for guinea pigs for 5 years I will not risk to try them for my chins by just matching on suitable ingredients. It is far too risky.

I've used several different feeds. I've used Shoots feed for several months-loved it. However, after ordering several 100 lbs and not getting it at a show they couldn't attend due to an unforseen event, I had to switch to PRCS. I liked the PRCS but when they changed the formula my chins dropped weight, dumped their feeders, and refused to eat it. So I switched to Nutrena. I had alot of quality issues with their feeds...tons of fines and again my chins dumped their feeders and refused to eat it. Now I am on Manna Pro Sho. That feed seems to be working for me. All gained their weight back, kit sizes are great, and noone else is dying.

Back