The Dreaded Chin Ban

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many chins did you own when you were banned from getting any more?

• 1-3

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • 4-6

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • 7-9

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • 10-12

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 13+

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
I was told by Dustin that Phoenix was the only animal since Perkins passed away but then I talked him into Sedona so now I am officially "banned" from getting any more. He never said that I couldn't get Sedona her own FN cage and make tons of my own shelves. I just ordered 7 pounds of wood from Barbi today so yeah I really listen to him. Plus we are in the process of buying our first home so there will be plenty of room in our bedroom for more chin stuff. ;) We are also rescuing a dog from an animal shelter next weekend too.

Men need to understand that they may think they have power but they really don't :thumbsup:

I was told I could have seven, when I kept getting more he said 12. I have 27 right now, so you see how well that went.

ok, my boyfriend always tells me we have enough animals. Then why in the world does he search thru Craigslist and tell me when he sees an ad for an animal needing a home. It's all his fault! :)

My hubby does this too! Which is how we ended up with our bull dog! I have banned him from Petfinders! Though I still look, of course ;)

Its more of a space limit than a chin limit. In the apartment 4 was my limit because that was all the room we had (FN and a modified super pet in the livingroom and smaller super pet in the kitchen for qt). Right now I'm limiting myself to 6 because I really don't like cleaning more cages than that. hehehe.

I don't think I have been "banned" per say but hubby would definitely give me a little grief if I brought any additions my five home. He does understand that in the future I will have a chin barn and then it is out of his hands!

Just one. :( This is partly why I am moving out. Sure, I guess I can understand why my parents wouldn't sympathise with my interest in breeding and showing chins. I can't however understand why they wouldn't even consider letting me have the spayed (due to medical necessity) standard female I saw for sale (I do love standards, I want another one). I'm sure she wouldn't have been any trouble, not really, two is pretty much the same as one, right? ;) The way they say 'There's absolutely no way you're EVER having any more chinchillas while you live here', you'd think I had a herd of at least 300. And was keeping them all in my bedroom. *Sulks*
I think my Henry is a chin who would benefit from the company of another chin, and perhaps then he'd stop waking me in the middle of the night by barking until I come pay attention to him.
Gotta get myself an understanding landlord! I do have a self-imposed limit, I don't think I'd want more than 6-8, split over two or three groups. Showing is interesting, and I would love to be able to show some I'd bred myself one day (it's not something I'd jump into, though, I know it's far from easy), but I'd always want them to be pets first.

My fiancé doesn't want more than three, and I tend to agree with that. I do reaaaaallllyyyyy want a white ebony female, but I'll be patient :D. For now, three is a good number.

Mine is also a self imposed ban. I live in NYC so there isn't too much space to quarantine new animals let alone get more cages in my apartment.

My "limit" was at three. Luckily, Ray has grown fond of my chinchillas, allowing me more. : ) They just have to stay in one room.

The living room/dining room counts as a room, right?

i'm imposing a limit on myself of one for now. as another person mentioned, having a ratio of emergency funds to pets is a good idea and i think with one chin i'm in the comfort zone on that, even though i don't ever use my bedroom and a lot of FN's would fit in the space if i sold my bed....... lol!

plus, with just one i can give it all the attention it needs/wants.

I made the ban my self after Dale and Rex got into pretty serious fights, and I realized I couldn't handle that many chins. So after the babies are ready to leave I'll probably keep one or two not sure yet at the moment though. But I want to keep it 1-3 chins just to keep it at a comfortable level for me.

My husband KNOWS not to tell me no - because then I WILL do it. If he asks me nice and we discuss it most times I will go with what he asks. He knows not to bother with how many animals I have. My 'ban' is my own as to how many animals I can take care of. I am the one who cares for the animals. My husband will help in an emergency but only then.

My husband says that I can have two since he knows I am already making plans for number two. I also can't get the second until the next show because we are approaching summer and he doesn't want to a/c two rooms for quarantine. I've already talked to my breeder though and she's going to get a nice retiree ready for a life of luxury.

I have to laugh at myself because I thought we'd stop at two and our second is as awesome as our first. He came a month earlier than the show and we met a third boy there. My husband caved and let me have him. We've stuck with boys so there won't be any surprises but I have been banned from going to the breeders or shows for a while.

Let's see!

When I was banned...First off...I live in a 7 bedroom house with my parents and sisters. My chins have their own room now. haha Because of this "ban"

I got my first two, (Daddy said NO MORE) then for my birthday I told my daddy I wanted a female. He agreed. After those 3, he said NO MORE!
Then I begged for another female. He agreed to one more female and NO MORE. But I came home with a male and female that day. They were seperated once I got them to my house (long story). Daddy said no more. But the female was already pregnant. He said I would have to find new homes for all the babies born. She had 2 (bring me to a total of 7) and HE fell in love with them too and they are still here. Then it was NO MORE!
After that, a moron from school BEGGED me to take her male because he was a terror and she was terrified of him. Daddy agreed because he felt bad for the little guy. And she practically threw him at us and left. Once again, NO MORE.
Then I started fostering a chinnies for a rescue. It was just a foster situation and I was gonna help socialize him and get him ready for his forever home. I got so excited everytime he would let me pet him, or he'd come to me, etc. I would sit outside his cage while I was on the computer, etc. One day Daddy came into the chinnies room to play with his babies (He says Macy, Gizmo, Pip and Squeak are his) and I was sitting by Tucker's cage. He told me "You might as well just go ahead and adopt him because you aren't going to be able to let him go". I thought about it for a bit, and I adopted him.

Bring me to 9.

He has once again said NO MORE. But he said that said that 6 or 7 times before. Plus he says that about every animal. I have 9 chinnies, 2 degus, 1 dog, 4 cats...all examples of NO MORE. Oh and I'm getting fish. lol

But luckly for him, I'm limiting myself. The chinnies room is FULL. If I tried I could fit one more cage, but I have decided no more chinnies. Tucker was the missing part of my chinnies family. He completed it!

BUT, I will say if there is another chinnies in this tiny town of mine who needs me, I just might have to get it. Even if I get it and find it a new home.

Point being...Daddy says NO MORE...ALL THE TIME. I just pout and stay quiet for a bit and he gives in. haha

Let's see!

When I was banned...First off...I live in a 7 bedroom house with my parents and sisters. My chins have their own room now. haha Because of this "ban"

I got my first two, (Daddy said NO MORE) then for my birthday I told my daddy I wanted a female. He agreed. After those 3, he said NO MORE!
Then I begged for another female. He agreed to one more female and NO MORE. But I came home with a male and female that day. They were seperated once I got them to my house (long story). Daddy said no more. But the female was already pregnant. He said I would have to find new homes for all the babies born. She had 2 (bring me to a total of 7) and HE fell in love with them too and they are still here. Then it was NO MORE!
After that, a moron from school BEGGED me to take her male because he was a terror and she was terrified of him. Daddy agreed because he felt bad for the little guy. And she practically threw him at us and left. Once again, NO MORE.
Then I started fostering a chinnies for a rescue. It was just a foster situation and I was gonna help socialize him and get him ready for his forever home. I got so excited everytime he would let me pet him, or he'd come to me, etc. I would sit outside his cage while I was on the computer, etc. One day Daddy came into the chinnies room to play with his babies (He says Macy, Gizmo, Pip and Squeak are his) and I was sitting by Tucker's cage. He told me "You might as well just go ahead and adopt him because you aren't going to be able to let him go". I thought about it for a bit, and I adopted him.

Bring me to 9.

He has once again said NO MORE. But he said that said that 6 or 7 times before. Plus he says that about every animal. I have 9 chinnies, 2 degus, 1 dog, 4 cats...all examples of NO MORE. Oh and I'm getting fish. lol

But luckly for him, I'm limiting myself. The chinnies room is FULL. If I tried I could fit one more cage, but I have decided no more chinnies. Tucker was the missing part of my chinnies family. He completed it!

BUT, I will say if there is another chinnies in this tiny town of mine who needs me, I just might have to get it. Even if I get it and find it a new home.

Point being...Daddy says NO MORE...ALL THE TIME. I just pout and stay quiet for a bit and he gives in. haha
:tease: that is JUST like my dad. "dad can i get a chinchilla" no. now i have 2 within 4 months. someday i want to get a black velvet... but that will have to wait "sigh":bump1:

hehe, My story is similar to most. I decided in December I wanted on (around new years). I live with my boyfriend and we weren't supposed to have pets. I was very sad and whiney because I sleep during the days and he sleeps at night, and on my nights off I'd be lonely cause I'd have to stay up all night long...blah blah blah. End of January I had Pepper. Well, Pepper cries when I'm not home. Dave said no. But pllllease shes lonely and you don't want to play with her. No....Sooo we moved into a new apartment with new rules. "Pleeeease." "Fine, one more." "Ok."...I ended up with two more hehe.

DH says as long as they don't drive his allergies mad, he doesn't care. We're up to 4 and he knows to expect more at some point..

Back