That was a close one!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whimsy

I woke up this morning to find one of our chins in labor.

No kits had been born at the time I first checked, but when I checked again a moment later I found a kit convulsing and gasping while mommy was busy with the umbilical cord. The poor thing was passed with the clear amniotic sack still intact! Once I recognized the problem I quickly tore off the sack and stimulated the little guy to clear his lungs.

Whew! Talk about a close call!

I'm very thankful I caught the problem in time. It seems we've had an unusual amount of bad luck with stillborn kits lately. He also happens to be totally gorgeous (and pedigreed) heavily marked pinkwhite. He could be a mosaic. He's still a bit wet.

The second kit, a heterobeige male, was born with the sweetly familiar wattery squeeks. So all is well there.

Wow! Great job Whimsy!

Thank goodness you were able to save the little guy!

Wow! What luck that you were there during the labor and could help the kit! Maybe that will end your bad luck now! Congratulations on your 2 healthy kits....and we do need pics please! :D

Three healthy kits!

What started off as potentially tragic, has smoothed out.
Kits are all dried off now and weighed in at 44,46 and 48 grams.
The little mosaic I saved is actually a little girl. We've named her Avalon (WHIM A16).

Her two brothers (WHIM A17 + 18) are spunky heterobeige and standard and still need names.
Anyone have any "A" names they'd like to recommend?

Pictures of the new kits attached. I've included the picture of their full brother from last year's litter. I'm excited to see if these kits turn out with blue eyes like their big brother.

Attachments

• P8050313.jpg
    P8050313.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 99
  • P8050297.jpg
    P8050297.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 95
  • P8050308.jpg
    P8050308.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 89
  • P8050317.jpg
    P8050317.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 90
Avalon led me right to Arthur (as in King Arthur), which led me to Alymere, one of the Knights of the Round Table.

Hmmm....I kinda like those two names for the boys. Very fitting!

As an aside, the kits are doing amazing. Their mommy is experienced and this is her third litter. The kits are all nursing very well with no fighting. The little mosaic girl is especially spunky and friendly. It looks like there was no harmful effects suffered from her birth trauma.

I was unable to post the picture of their full brother as it is already posted in a thread called, "ahhh perfection!".

Back