temperment changes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saphire

Christiane's Chinchillas
It started when I closed the door between him and his female 3 weeks before she gave birth. He had become protective of her, when I would open her door he would actually would jump at the wired separator. I put a solid separator and he had no acces to her and he is his sweet self again.

I later put him next to a female with the wired separator, things are fine, put them together things are fine. But 7 weeks or so later he starts attacking the bars when I get close and my hand when I feed and clean, to the point of drawing blood. She is pregnant.

Yesterday morning, I closed and put a solid separator and he is slowly coming around.

What I understand from this is, he is very protective of his pregnant females, for he is not like that when being introduced and starting to share the space with the girls.

This attitude does not affect the kits, for up until now all are sweet chins.

I'm I out there by thinking this way?

Need your input please... tks

I have a few males that turn into little beasts when they have a pregnant female. They are social animals and I feel they may be protecting the kits. I have a male neptune that is as sweet as can be a total lap chinchilla until his girls have babies then he is an absolute a-hole will not let anyone near the babies.

Thank you Kristy...
Interesting, so since he is this way before the kits, I will assume he sences it when the girls are pregnant. Will check into it with the futur mates.

I have a male that never really leaves the run until I'm out of the room. I just never ever see him in with any of the females no matter the occasion. Well, the other day I realized one of my girls looked particularly huge, as well as heavy on her back side. Picked her up to check her out and nipples were definitely longer than usual and that her stomach was very tight. Out pops Obsidian out of the run and into her cage after me! For the past few days he won't leave her. I have a feeling he knows the time is near. She's very 'open', so I'm counting down the days with him.

Back