Teeth Grinding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouandRoo

I have noticed that every now and again, my male chin will grind his teeth. I'm worried it could be a dental problem. He has plenty of things to chew on and I haven't noticed any drooling or other signs of a dental problem. Also, he is eating and drinking fine and has tons of energy. I've tried to look at his teeth myself and they seem normal (not overgrown or anything). So, is the teeth grinding normal chin behavior or should I take him to have it checked out?​

Chins can grind there teeth just because sometimes... Mine will do it when running around on some occasions shes done it for a year now every so often we here the grind...her teeth are the right color...not overgrown and she is a healthy chin I have seen in previous posts some have teeth grinding chins as long as yours is not showing any signs of pain or abnormal behavior and eating well you may just have a chin that does that also if the grinding like 24/7 or just on occasion? If it was like a lot then I maybe would get concerned I know when i grind my own teeth at night it gives me a headache chins maybe different its kind of funny me and my chin both are grinders drives my family nuts with that noise

He only grinds his teeth every once in a while. It makes my teeth hurt when I hear it though. Maybe he just does it because he can. He's a goofball.

Agree with the above. I have some that will grind their teeth only when I open the cage or touch them. It's a warning for me they don't want to be bothered. I have 2 malo rescues here, 1 grinds often and 1 rarely grinds. So it's really hard to say. You can only examine the front 4 teeth and not the back. Molars are very hard to see and you can't tell without proper xrays where it shows the angle the molars are growng and any abcess.

Some will grind if they're upset or stressed. The molars can be checked with an otoscope, but most people don't have them laying around, even then it's not a clear picture of what's going on, but it does so if there are any spurs or what not.

If he's not showing any other signs I would not worry about it simply due to grinding.

Latest posts

Back