Teeth been filed, next step?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBunsen

Hi

I have two chinchillas that are 11 next month - Wallace and Gromit. Gromit has been a bit under the weather, losing some weight, not eating as normal and taking his time over eating his favourite treats (unlike his brother who is still eating at pace!). I have taken him to the vet who examined his teeth under sedation - they said that he had two sharp teeth, which they have filed, but a week on his eating hasn't improved. He is eating pellets, but less than normal and fruit treats but at a much slower pace, but no hay at all. He is sticking his tongue out whilst eating, which is also unusual. He is drinking normally.

I am worried that it is malocclusion, but I am also worried about him being sedated so soon after the first time so he can have an x-ray (it will be two weeks in between), is this safe for a small animal? I know there is always a risk under sedation, but I don't want to do anything to increase that risk.

The fact that Gromit was sedated may in itself put him off his food (?) and i don't know whether to try oxbow critical care route first (which I have read that other chinchilla owners highly recommend) to encourage his appetite before I go down the X-ray route? I also worry that my vet does not know enough about chinchillas to advise me correctly.

Any help gratefully received.

Jill

If you have an experienced exotics vet using the latest sedative gas it should be safe. My vet sedates my hedgehogs and chins for even routine exams and they are up and back to normal within minutes. The hedgehogs are especially difficult to check out and even more so to treat without sedation. There are always some risks though and if your vet is not experienced enough or using an older sedation method the risk may be greater and the side effects different. Mine have never shown any side effect of being knocked out for a short time. A few do just stress over the trip to the vet and take awhile to get back to normal.

You can try soaking some pellets in warm water to make a consistency similar to critical care along with increasing the smell and see if he eats that better. It won't have the flavorings and may be lower in fiber than cc so it's not quite as good but it makes a temporary fix until you can get cc or they start eating normally. I frequently mix pellets or cc up with various things depending on the details of the health problem and my goals.

If it were my chinchilla I would go back and insist on x rays. They will tell you if there are problems with the roots and if they are causing pain. X rays immediately was the only thing our old vet did right when Edgar's teeth started bothering him. Thank goodness people here have been helping me and Edgar's slowly getting as well as he can.

I hope your boy is just reacting to the filing and will be back to his normal self soon.

Hi - thanks so much for your replies. I wanted my vet to do an x-ray first time around but they only filed his teeth - glad you said Jazicat to insist on an x-ray as this is what I have done, I am worried though about him being sedated again.

Akane, the last time he was sedated it effected him for some time later - I trust my vets but wouldn't say they are experienced exotic vets. I have ground up some hay and pellets already and he takes that quite happily from a syringe - surprisingly so! So I feel maybe I'm on the right track, but wasn't sure. Maybe I should take him to a different vets, which I have already been considering.

Thanks so much to you both!

We actually did have to change vets for Edgar so do what you need to. Also Edgar recovered fine from being put under since they only do it quickly just to keep them still. I'd also insist on getting copies of the x rays given to you (my vet emailed them). I did and am so thankful for the help from experts here.

Well Gromit is booked into tomorrow at a different vets, for further examination and an X-ray. I hope the change of vets was the right decision, their website advertises about looking at exotics and the vet I am seeing, the nurse recommended him for small animals. They at least said that they'd had a few chinchillas through the door!

You can always go back to the first if you don't like them. If you can post the x rays I am sure you can also get a second opinion here. I know that without the advice I've gotten from breeders and people here I'd be lost with what we are going through with Edgar. Good luck tomorrow.

In my experience, it can take up to two weeks for a first time filed chin to start eating on its own. There are several factors that determine this-How much tooth structure was removed-chin teeth are innervated, meaning if the vet did not get the memo and trimmed the teeth aggressively, it takes awhile for the tubules to recalcify and protect the exposed nerve. If there was soft tissue damage from either the procedure or the points, it takes time to heal. If the occlusion was changed, it takes the chin awhile to get used to a new chewing pattern, add the fact that a large instrument had to get into a small area, the jaw muscles are also sore. I agree the x-ray should have been done while the chin was under the first time, but on a 11 year old chin there is a higher risk of complications when going under that with a younger chin, so be very careful in the decision of putting the chin under, its more serious than is being portrayed.

Thanks for the further advice, I will definitely take into consideration the points you have raised in the time it may take for my chinnie to recover after having his teeth filed.

Gromit has had his X-ray now and is recovering very well after this. The roots of his teeth were fine but they have given me an anti-inflammatory to see if this helps in encouraging his appetite back to normal. So I will try this.

They also managed to get some blood from him, so this will be sent off too.

I'd totally trust Dawn over any advice that I've given. I don't have nearly the experience and knowledge that she does. I hope your baby is doing well.

Back