Taro's paw was bitten off. Pictures included. What do I do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<3chinbaby

Taro's paw is hurt because of my older chin. One of his poor toe is bitten off on his right (pictures on the left) and the other paw seems to have a cut but I think I see bone sticking out (pictures on the right).

In the My bf is out to get some epsom salt to soak (how do I use it)? Please help. What should I do? Will he be okay? He is a bit low on energy but still runs around a little bit although he always curls his right paw to avoid weight on it.

Attachments

• taro's toe.jpg
    taro's toe.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 154
If you see bone, he needs a vet. Usually toes bitten off without bone heal fine on their own. Bone sticking out is another matter. I wouldn't do an epsom salt soak until he was seen by the vet.

I had a chin have his toe bitten by another chin once and there was a very small point of bone showing. I brought him to the vet and he put him under with a little isoflurane gas and quickly filed it down.

It took just two minutes and the toe healed completely very quickly with a little antibiotic cream.

I had the same issue here but with a larger hand injury. We battled infection for awhile trying to save his hand (antibiotics and soaks), but it just wouldn't heal (in our case it was a larger wound, though no bone was specifically showing). Once the vet removed the fingers causing the issue, within the week it was almost completely healed.

Okay, I'm paranoid 24/7. I'm taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow. This will put me at ease. I soaked his paw in epsom salt but he still isn't looking better. This is reallly breaking my heart. He looks so weak and constantly curling his paw to his chest. It's so sad to look at.

One of my chins had a toe injury this past August. She had some bone exposed. It did end up getting infected and the vet placed her on antibiotics. It was also recommended to get the toe amputated a week later.

I soaked her paw in epsom salt soaks twice a day for about a week. Luckily, once the swelling went down the skin healed over the exposed bone so we managed to forego getting it amputated.

BEFORE:
100_5814-2.jpg

AFTER:
100_5941.jpg

^The epsom salt soak looks very promising but I didn't want to rely on it alone. I'll continue to do the soaks in addition to antibiotics and whatever else the vet prescribes.

We just came back from the vet and he is there. The vet said they'll take a closer look at the toe and put him on anesthesia for surgery. I wasn't sure what kind of surgery she was implying. Anyone know? She did prescribe metacam and TMS. I'm just waiting for them to call me to pick him up. The poor little guy must be so scared now.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My toes hurt just looking at all these pictures. Poor chinny :(

Any more recent update??

I picked him up from the vet earlier today. The poor guy was so startled and timid when I saw him. He must have been through alot =( So the vet prescribed TMS antibiotic and Metacam painreliever. Although I want to include the epsom soaks, he just won't stay still. After I manage to dip his paw, he wipes is on his chest and gets his fur all wet. Last thing I would want is him getting sick.

I really really want to give him a dust bath but figured it isn't a good idea with an open wound. He looks like he'd really enjoy/needs one since he hasn't for the past few days. Anyway around this?

What exactly did the vet do to him? Did he amputate anything? Did he just snip off the protruding bone?

You're right in that he shouldn't have a dust bath for a while, but you can rub dust into his fur yourself if he'll hold still for it. Just start at his head and work your way back.

Im curious to know what the vet did as well.... Years back we had a pretty vicious chin, I believe she took at least 3 toes if not 4 from one of my boys. And she wasn't in with him for very long ... but his healed up on his own.

Back