Tank Update Thread

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He looks so gorgeous now, compared to before. Have you checked for ring worm, I know when dogs and cats get it their fur starts to thin and it can often become really irritated and flakey if you've ever seen a human with ring worm that's how it starts out your skin becomes red and flakey because the fungi is eating the healthy skin causing irritation, it may take up to a few weeks for a ring worm to actually show up, at least on humans, dogs, cats, and cattle.

There are a few ointments that we use for not only use but our pets too. It's safe for chins (feet dunno about skin) , dogs, and cats you should see if you could use it on his skin it's completely organic and it works wonders, I mean wonders, it's called Melaleuca we've used the mela gel on our dogs scrapes and such and they healed days after wards with no infections at all, even with out bandages. We also used them on our cats who had fleas and were bit up so terribly bad, we used dermacourt as well for the flea bits and from them biting themselves from it itching so bad. I doubt it would have negative effect on chins skin, I've used it on their feet because they had sores on the bottom of there back feet, I guessed from the shelves on in the cage (they have been replaced) and they healed in no time.

But the only thing I guess I'd be worried about is it making the chins coat oily, but if its thin I doubt it'll be much of a difference.

It's just a thought.

Last edited:
The ringworm possibility is why I am starting the tinactin treatment tomorrow. If I end up needed a spot treatment though I will definitely keep it in mind.

That dry skin all over his entire body just looks itchy (though I really haven't seen him scratching too much).

It might hurt to scratch maybe? I know I haven't been a chin owner long and I don't know all too much, but I want to help in anyway because this made me very sad, and irritated after seeing those disgusting mats. :[

he's looking great Momma Crysta!!! You'll have him spiffy and buff in no time.Just a thought, but the dry skin may just be coming from his crappy diet.Once he gets his system on proper food/vitamins/nutrients I bet it will get better. I know just from having the gastric bypass surgery years ago that I have very dry skin whereas it was always oily before.He'll nomnom his way to good health under your loving care!

Really? Our vet said it was okay for our cats and kittens and stuff, but then again there not really a small animal.

You are lucky you do not have dead cats and kittens, tea tree oil is very toxic especially to cats, their liver is not capable of processing even smaller amounts of tea tree oil which results in liver damage and death. It cannot be used even in small amounts on small animals.

He looks so good. Im so proud to be a part of this group that has put out so much to help out chins or any animal of that matter. Does the original owner know how bad he really was or was or did they just didn't care?

The kid just kinda left him alone over the years and the mom said she is allergic to his dust. I think they had good intentions in the beginning and then just dropped the ball.

When I picked him up from the original owners they did realize that he was all matted up....the lady said she was allergic to either him or the dust bath and would itch like mad whenever she touched him...the husband travels a lot and isn't home so it was up to the 16 year old to take care of him and he stopped doing it....so the parents said they needed to rehome him....I think they knew he wasn't be taken care of but didn't know how bad it really was...whether or not they were being genuine when I got there I can't say but at least he is out of there

Aw, he looks fantastic already! I think you might be right on the possibility of him being one of Jen's Chins :/ He's a good looking guy.

Great job on the rescue everyone :)

Even with the stink eye, he looks so good :))! Great job Crysta and everyone that helped get him.

They wouldn't go below $100, so we paid for him (with the help of some members here as well).

he alone was $100, or were there supplies included? That just seems to be a ridiculously high price for a neglected chin. I think the previous owners are lucky for not getting charged with negligence to this poor chin. Tank is lucky to have been saved from this situation, and although not a happy camper at the moment, I know he soon will be! Thanks for taking such good care of him!

His supplies were included, but they were all thrown away short of the cage (which does have a very rusted bottom, though can be usable with some work) his dust house, and a bag of bedding. They initially wanted $125.

Aw, he looks fantastic already! I think you might be right on the possibility of him being one of Jen's Chins :/ He's a good looking guy.

Great job on the rescue everyone :)

Turns out he is not one of her chins....I asked when I got there....he was purchased from a pet store in Daytona...

omg people are ridiculous...you are neglecting an animal horribly and you claim you are so allergic to it and no one can take care of it but yet you still want money for it!!! woowwwwwww I think she was full of c**p! she just wanted to sell it because they didnt want to bother with the poor little guy..

i do not understand people.. chinchillas are SO EASY to care for. my boyfriend has 12 chinchillas and i have 12 chinchillas.....i think lol..but anyways it takes no time for us to care for them!! the longeset process would be changing there shavings which takes me about 30 minutes if that!!! seriously u can not care for 1 just 1 chinchilla....

Latest posts

Back