Tan? Brown Velvet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
We had a 2 yr. old male chinchilla come into the rescue yesterday from the Atlanta, GA area. He came with his pedigree (though the "pedigree" only listed his parents...) and on it he is listed as a "medium tan". Upon first look he looked like he had white on the underside of his neck, so I thought he might be a brown velvet. Once he got comfortable enough with me, and I was able to pick him up, I saw his belly is not white, just a lighter beige color. Would that make him a dirty belly brown velvet? Tan? His parents are listed as a Tan/White (Dam) and Brown Velvet (Sire). Here are a few pictures of him with some of his underside visible. I have another full belly shot, but of course it's on my computer at home and I'm at work. When my husband gets off work though I will post that picture as well.

522933_373673442672518_170185089688022_1075818_601768483_n.jpg

522933_373673452672517_170185089688022_1075820_1519435426_n.jpg

Here he is as a kit. He's the darker one on the right.

10734_632417004219_12818385_36423597_658256_n.jpg

If he has the veiling of a velvet, and the colored belly then he is likely a TOV Tan. To me, it looks like his belly is more than just "dirty" - so I'd say TOV Tan.

He definitely has the veiling which is what was even making me think Brown Velvet in the first place. I never thought of TOV tan as an option, but it does make sense with his coloring. In the other picture (than I haven't posted yet) you will see just how dark his belly is, which would definitely throw him out of the "dirty belly" category.

Ok, here is the belly picture. You can see how much darker he is up top (look at the shade on his legs) but that his belly is far from being white.

P1000482.jpg

He very well could be just a regular ol' tan and I have no idea what I'm talking about. :p That's the reason I'm asking people who have some actual knowledge of colors. Haha.

I don't have a picture like that on the computer right now, but when I get off work I will take some more pictures of him.

I think he is a medium tan. I have one like that here. I don't see any dark coloring on the lower half of his face which should be there if he is TOV.

Sounds good to me! I was only wondering mainly because from what I can find on google this is a "breader" who only advertises on hoobly and I have yet to see a single standard in her herd. It made me question her ability to correctly classify a chinchilla color.

I need to see a couple of side shots to make a decision. :))

He is definitely a tan, wether or not he is also Tov will depend on his sides.

Latest posts

Back