Talkers!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraighenry

Tell me about your talking chins! We have two, one we got when she was a baby and the other when she was four.

What we've noticed is the baby talks all the time. She woke me up last night making peeping sounds at me and then scared the **** out of me when she just kind of kept doing it. Without it being her contact sound. (One has a rhythm, the other is just kind of 'peep, peep, peep.')

She's super chatty the rest of the time too, even when she's not just trying to get attention. She kacks, squeaks if you get your hand close to her tail or stomach and barks a lot during the day.

She also appears to try and mimic. If I say her name she comes running. If I repeat it, she moves her mouth around and peeps.

The other one is virtually silent, except she buzzes.

We have a theory about the difference. Since we raised Vincenza we wonder if she tries to communicate with us since we've always communicated with her.

The older one, Cinnamon, was part of a herd that was used for showing and didn't have a whole lot of direct human interaction.

There are some significant personality differences between the two of them though. The younger one is more aggressive and territorial. The older one is more mellow and a little friendlier.

So, I was wondering about your anecdotal experience with chatty chins! (Or not)

Bronco not only talks all the time, but he also cries like a human baby for no reason and beeps. Once he beeped so loud and at such an odd frequency that I thought it was the smoke alarm until I figured out what he was doing. ALL his babies make his noises...and they are so loud. They cry like a baby all the time and sometimes it is really unnerving when it comes out of nowhere and I don't expect it.

The other chins that are chatty are fine...they talk to me like normal chins. The baby cages always have someone talking loudly.

I love buzzy chins...hehe

I have two female rescues right now that will talk your ear off. They both love to be talked to and they talk back. They will go on for an hour if you have the time for them. One of them will get mad if you turn away from her and talk to anyone else and that is when the pee flies. She gets super jealous!

Jack my sweetest pea, passed away a few years ago. He always muttered to me and I miss that so much. :cry3: You are lucky to have chins that talk. He used to get so excited to see me that he would run all around his ledges muttering the whole time and couldn't wait for me to come to the cage for a smooch.

On a brighter note: I have a ranch animal that finally came around. Took him a year to finally love a scratch and a smooch. Now I need to teach him to mutter. ;)

My female is quiet, once she matured all the happy chirps stopped. She only very quietly, almost inaudibly, will talk with the male when I bring him close to her cage.
My male is extremely vocal though, almost non stop and very audible. I didn't know if it was a gender thing (I guess opposite to humans ;) ) or if he's just naturally got a lot to say about everything and anything.
It's fun to hold a conversation with him as he will respond to you.

My only chin who talks loudly enough to hear him used to Hercules. Now that I have baby Magnum (who isnt a baby but I call him that because he's the youngest) chats soooo loudly and they squeak back and forth. Its super cute. The only thing Gizmo does is the alarm cry.

One of our boys never stops talking. This guy can make an amazing variety of sounds. I can hear him across the house....all the time. Haha. Sometimes Ill call his name softly down the hall and he'll call right back at me.

I have a male and female chinchilla that came together when I got them. I was around them all the time with the previous owner and they never made any noises except for an occasional bark. Once I brought them home I immediately separated them and my male cries like a baby. He also makes chirping noises and whimpers like a sad puppy. It sometimes seems like he gets frustrated and pulls on his fleece, shrieks really loud and popcorns around his cage. He's a goof.

Back