Taking Advice From Someone With Zero Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you take advice from someone with zero chins seriously?

• Total voters

clb

Basically what the title reads would you take advice from someone about chinchillas who has zero chins?

To be specific it would be advice you asked from a group of people, like on here. I'm just curious as I do not own any chinchillas yet, but have done a ton of research. I'm wondering if I should continue to answer questions since I have zero personal experience and answers may not be taken seriously.

Are you planning on getting a chinchilla in the future? I would assume so, since you are here in the first place? I don't see why you couldn't answer questions if you're doing your research and getting a chin later. You could possibly be very knowledgeable even if you don't have a chin I suppose.

I answered no because I would want that person to actually have the experience of owning a chin. There are some things that go on with chinchillas that you really have to experience first hand. I'm not saying don't post here until you get a chin though! Anyone is welcome and from what you've said you have done lots of research and that's good :) I'm saying if that person had no plans of getting a chin and started giving me advice based on rats, guinea pig, ferrets, etc or just because they think they know everything I wouldn't listen to them, but that's just common sense. ;)

Last edited:
Are you planning on getting a chinchilla in the future? I would assume so, since you are here in the first place? I don't see why you couldn't answer questions if you're doing your research and getting a chin later. You could possibly be very knowledgeable even if you don't have a chin I suppose.

I answered no because I would want that person to actually have the experience of owning a chin. There are some things that go on with chinchillas that you really have to experience first hand. I'm not saying don't post here until you get a chin though! Anyone is welcome and from what you've said you have done lots of research and that's good :) I'm saying if that person had no plans of getting a chin and started giving me advice based on rats, guinea pig, ferrets, etc or just because they think they know everything I wouldn't listen to them, but that's just common sense. ;)

Yeah I will eventually. Paying off student loans and saving up first. I have done enough research on Chins that I know I don't want to ever breed. :p

I wouldn't take advice from someone who acted like a know-it-all, always 100% right either. I agree the way the answer is said does make a difference.

Unless you start a thread like this no one will know if you do or don't have chins.

True, but I don't really care if people know or not. I was just curious what others think. I would also rather be upfront about it.

To me it depends on the person. For example Bradford's sold their herd, they have no chins, but I'd take advice from them. To me it depends on their background and competency level, if someone is going around giving false information then they shouldn't be helping at all. If they're giving good information then it shouldn't matter if they own chins at this time or not.

How many people take their chins to the vet for a medical emergency and how many vets do you think actually have chins? I can list tons of vets I know personally who have never SEEN a chin in person, yet they treat them from what they learned out of a book. ( not saying this is good or bad with a vet who's handling the life of a chin in their hands... :/ )

For me, its if you have ever HAD chins, not that you have none now but did in the past. If the advice is correct who cares, but if the advice is wrong don't freakin argue about it if corrected-we had a member here who had hamsters, she kept giving chin advice based on hamsters and would have a hissy fit when corrected.

Riven: I am always amazed at how little vets know about small animals even "exotic" ones. We had a pet rat while back with a lump took us weeks and a few hundred dollars to find a vet who actually was willing to do more then a feeling with hands exam. Funny thing is she was not an exotic vet, but was the best one because she did a bunch of research with us to figure out best course of action (ended up being cancer).

ticklechin I can understand not taking someone like the hamster owner seriously. All pets have such different needs.

Some things I'm ok with like basic care (as long as it's good and correct information, obviously), but when it gets into deeper topics such as health/illnesses/injuries/breeding, I don't think someone who has never experienced them should be offering advice or giving any input. People need to hear from others who have experienced these things first hand and have real life advice and experience to offer, not just parroting off information that they read.

Last edited:
I have on occasion read a post, has a thought or idea and said " Hey breeders (or guys) do you think this would help/work?. You can also refer people to a helpful link/post for the poster to read

I think it depends on the question. There's no reason you shouldn't tell someone that pellets are better for chins than a mix, for instance, but there's obviously some questions you wouldn't really be able to answer without more experience of chins, and individual chins can be different, too. For instance, based on what I'd read before getting one, I'd have told people chins were crepuscular, which is technically true...but I'd now have to say Henry isn't, he insists on being nocturnal, silly boy.

Just common sense, really. I don't think you have to have bred chins to answer basic questions about breeding, either, it's only when it gets more in depth, and when there are dilemmas to which there aren't necessarily a straightforward right or wrong answer, for instance deciding when to rotate triplets, that it's obviously best left to those with experience of similar situations.

I voted that it depends on the answer/person. If a big breeder got out of breeding and had no chins, I'd have no problem listening to them and their advice. For someone who's getting chins, I wouldn't have a problem with general advice, but I think I would draw the line at specific medical problems. Like if I came on here and was having some medical problem, I wouldn't care to listen to someone who's never had chins say "well, I heard that....." That, to me, would not be helpful. I'd rather hear from someone who actually had been there and had dealt with the medical problem, rather than someone who heard a story and just repeated it. But for normal advice like relating to food, toys, chews, that kind of stuff, I would be ok with someone who doesn't own chins giving advice, as long as the advice is correct.

I think it depends on the question and person answering wither they own chins or not, just owning a chin dosn't bestow wisdom or critical thinking skills either.

Kinda like I would take parenting advice from a trained pediatric nurse/doc with no kids over some woman that popped out 6 kids and think she is entitled to handing out advice (I'm not taking about a high quality mom btw, I had a specific person in mind...)

It's interesting to see the poll. Most do seem to feel it depends on the answer and/or person. I do agree with those who are sayig people with zero personal experience shouldn't give advice on medical situations.

Latest posts

Back