Tail wagging

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystic

Super chin!
Have any of you ever seen your chinchillas do this? The oldest chinchilla in my pair of males will sometimes do this when the younger one comes over to him and they will start popcorning around the cage and make squeaky type noises. It's kinda funny actually. Does anyone knows what this display means?

From the FAQs...

"When a male chinchilla is near a female or is smelling a female's urine marking, this can get him "in the mood." The male expresses his interest in mating by wagging his tail (and making the mating call), but the tail doesn't wag from side to side as if it's one solid piece. Rather, because the chinchilla's tail has many ligaments (between 20-30), it curls rapidly from side to side."

I only have boys as well so I don't know what they pick up on, though maybe they can smell us? The only time I've seen mine do this was during my "time of the month" haha

The first time I saw it was in a young male who did it upon meeting a new female. He swished his tail back and forth on the floor, waggling his butt while making a repeated high-pitched sound: ee ee ee.

The first time I saw this I didn't know what it meant. I thought he was in distress and was trying to figure out what to do to calm him. Heh.

But yes, I am told it is a sort of courtship ritual.

I definitely have all boys and they do this all the time. They usually only do it when one is out playing and they are watching. Charlie seems to do it the most. I'm guessing it could also mean excitement in another form rather than mating excitement.

I have seen my female chins doing it to one and another before. But it was during the pairing stage. And the funny thing is, both of them cant even get along after 7 months of pairing and we gave up! So I don't think it is only used for mating. Funny creatures!

Probably... She is from Kristy... :tease:

Hey There is nothing wrong with being the way nature made her. If you were a good mom you would love her just the way she is LOL:pillowfight:

I love when they wag tails. I have seen my more dominant females wag tail at the males but it is usually the male near a female

Piper is a bit off though..I did warn you from the begining that she was "speshul" Noon is all your fault LOL:neener:

Lol. Thanks everyone. I guess Tristan (the tail wagger) gets a little excited when he knows his buddy wants to play. Haha.

I definitely have all boys and they do this all the time. They usually only do it when one is out playing and they are watching. Charlie seems to do it the most. I'm guessing it could also mean excitement in another form rather than mating excitement.

I agree, I have all boys as well. Ziggy will sometimes wag his tail when he is watching others play and he gets jealous of the attention or agitated.:impatient:

Ralph would wag his tail all the time right before he would try to hump me. He would wag his tail and make this sort of chattering noise.

Ah yes, I know that one! Except in Kenai's case, it would be accompanied by him latching onto my hand/arm with his teeth and tugging, like he was trying to drag it away (luckily he's past that phase, for the most part). Not sure how that says "I like you and want to make babies," but I'll take it as a compliment anyway ;)

Mine does that before he goes to "play" with his little stuffed sheep friend ;)...even if we know it's just cuz he's horny it's still super cute when he does it!

Latest posts

Back