Tail amputation on 4 month old chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Koski just called me and apologized for not calling me after the X-ray but Mousey was sedated so well for the X-ray, she didn’t want to miss that golden window of opportunity and she went ahead and performed the amputation. The X-rays showed there were no skeletal abnormalities although she noticed some decreased bone density in the hip. She said most likely the reason for the leg and tail issues is an abnormality or damage to the nerves in that area. She also said her teeth and gut looked good in the dental X-rays although it appeared she had some fluid in the ear region. I can’t remember the exact word she used for it. She said it could be affecting Mousey’s balance but it doesn’t appear to be indicative of an ear infection – that may just be another abnormality that is “normal” for her. Either way, she is going to be on antibiotics.

She is prescribing enrofloxacin (Baytril) with strawberry flavor to prevent infection, meloxicam (Metacam) for pain management and Mousey will also be on Tramadol for a few days. I have Critical Care, Lifeline and Essentials for Life ready just in case she goes off feed from the Baytril.

I will be picking up Mousey after work. I’m so glad everything went well and she got the surgery done early so she can be monitored there for the rest of the day.

Thanks everyone! Dr. Koski is really great and one of the few vets around here I would trust with a surgery on a chin. She has seen many of my chins before and always does a great job - she really knows her stuff.

I haven't seen Mousey yet but the vet said she left a "nub" of a tail. She couldn't amputate too high because it would interfere with the anal sphincter so she had to leave a bit of the tail which is about the length of her fur.

I'll be picking up Mousey in a couple hours.

Just so that Mousey doesn't feel like she is the odd one out, let me introduce you to my friend Talie's chin, Mog. She had an accident a few years ago now & ended up having her tail amputated - she has a nub too & it's very cute. I know Mousey has other problems which might affect her balance but Mog says chins with no tails can do anything they like, plus they get extra attention because they are special. ;)

One Moggle in full flight. :thumbsup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t79n6CRBG6M&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Here's hoping Mousey recovers from her op without any problems & is soon bouncing about in her own fashion.

Mousey does NOT like her meds! She really fights with me when it's med time. Otherwise, she's acting like normal Mousey, popping in and out of her fleece cuddle cup, munching on pellets and hay and bunny-hopping around.

Ahahaha, look at Mog! He gets around fine without that tail!

Here are some pictures of my poor baby after I brought her home last night. She looks like heck but has been acting like everything's fine. Her face is really messy-looking from the eye drops they had to put in to prevent her eyes from drying out while she was anesthetized.

100_4709.jpg

What a day!

100_4711.jpg

Mousey's tail stub

100_4710.jpg

Do I still look like a chinchilla?

Dear little Mousey - fingers crossed for her continued recovery. :heart:

Mousey is doing really well. The first day I brought her home, I saw her eat a few pellets and munch on her hay so I was thinking I may not need to handfeed her. Thanksgiving morning though she wasn't pooping. I took her out to move around and she had a couple very tiny hard poos. I have been handfeeding her now for the last two days and we are finally back to normal sized poos this morning.

She is very difficult though. She HATES her meds and she does not willingly take her CC. She moves her head back and forth when that syringe approaches her mouth - I have to be quick about slipping it in behind her front teeth while still maintaining control so as not go syringe too much into her mouth at a time. I have the CC fine grind so I've been using a 10 mL syringe which is a little less daunting than the larger syringes I have.

She's a handful! I'm just glad she's on the mend though. It pays off when she snuggles in my arms and falls asleep. :heart5:

She sounds like a little love. We are keeping paws crossed for her.

Back