SWEET PDZ dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh. I just bought some (small amount, only 2 lbs) to sprinkle on their bedding to keep it fresh between changes, but now I'm scared to use it.:err:

It's scary isn't it? Personally, I would say don't risk it! Dust gets in the air, and could be spread through the house via the ventilation, so not only is it likely unsafe for the chins to be breathing, but it puts everyone in your home at risk! I'd rather stick with a known and trusted dust, and one that won't possibly give me lung cancer.. :eek:

Okie dokie then! Out goes my dust mixture! The last thing my asthmatic son needs is to know his mother has been using something that can give him lung cancer. Looks like I will have to order some more Blue Cloud!

oh, and what is the difference between that and blue sparkle?

Blue Cloud is a more higher quality dust and used for showing chins. The Blue Sparkle is a bit lower in quality than the Blue Cloud. The Blue Sparkle makes the chins look sparkly and that's looked down upon at shows. Most people just recommend Blue Sparkle for pet chins since it's cheaper than Blue Cloud and is a decent quality dust.

I saw in another thread that someone with pretty bad allergies was using a corn starch mixture for dust instead?

He is allergic to a lot of other stuff as well. The worst of them for him is dust mites, and grasses, trees, rag weed and cats. He gets allergy shots once a week and is on zertec , adavir (allergy’s trigger asthma) and nasal spray. The dust gets him coughing really badly and triggers asthma. I can’t control his outside allergies but I try my best to help him with the inside allergies. We had almost 20 chins. Just five will not be near as much dust also.

I have pretty severe allergy induced asthma. My doctor had me try Singulair 10mg tabs along with Advair 250/50. The combination is the best I've ever had and have used it with much success for the past few years. It works so well that I'm practically "normal" around the animals. Perhaps you could ask your doc about trying Singulair as well. Geez, I sound like a commercial.

Blue Cloud is a more higher quality dust and used for showing chins. The Blue Sparkle is a bit lower in quality than the Blue Cloud. The Blue Sparkle makes the chins look sparkly and that's looked down upon at shows. Most people just recommend Blue Sparkle for pet chins since it's cheaper than Blue Cloud and is a decent quality dust.

I saw in another thread that someone with pretty bad allergies was using a corn starch mixture for dust instead?

Yup, that was me. ;)
I mix corn starch and baking soda for most of my chins. I only use the bluecloud on ones going to show and still present it mixed to keep my allergies under control.

The reality is we are using a dust and dusts cause lung damage. I've been using the granular PDZ because it is whiter and throws less dust, I put a cup or two in the bottom of the cage on the pee spots, leave the room for 20 minutes then come back and bed the cages. With the blue cloud it was taking me an hour and causing me serious lung pain. I have no allergies.

Starch and baking soda do work good though it is an expensive way to go. Starch can not be used before a show and is considered cheating.

Actually anything dusty that absorbs water works, I've used all kinds of stuff. Clays like fuller's earth are the safest.

I'd rather stick with a known and trusted dust, and one that won't possibly give me lung cancer..
That's actually a load of complete bull hockey unless you're using sparkle.

Blue cloud is not tested and has no MSDS sheet. Many of the old (and now dead) ranchers had cancers, several of them lung. Can't say what caused it but there's a good number of them that did. If you think about it back in the 60's they were exposing themselves to as much dust as a miner, and the miners back then were dying in their 40's.

The guy that does blue cloud has moved the source several times and is currently in a completely unrelated area. Since he isn't "mining" he isn't required to have it chemically tested. We called and asked.

The new blue cloud is different than the old stuff, I had some 30 year old bags I was using and had no problems with them.

I have been talking to the PDZ guy about getting a pure white dust. It does dry my skin out more quickly than blue cloud. I don't handle my chins for 24 hours after dusting.

Use what works for you. As far as the whole house thing most air filters will catch a dust particle. You can get ones now that filter particles so small it takes the smell out of your house for $20 at Lowes. :))

I stated above that what I was saying was my own personal opinion, and thought that the MSDS sheet was a good thing for people to see to make their own decision. I got that link as well as other information for someone who did a lot of research, and I trust her opinion. Personally, after seeing that sheet, I want that stuff nowhere near my house. I just felt that it would be nice to share the information with others who may not be aware of the risks of using PDZ.

Also, a note on blue cloud- when this subject was brought up, about PDZ, people asked about blue cloud.. worrying about that too, and because blue cloud does not have silicates in it, it's safe.

I'm sure inhaling dust of any sort isn't good for you, but there are certainly safer options,in my opinion anyways.

and because blue cloud does not have silicates in it, it's safe.
You can't say that because there has been no testing done on it. It could contain 50% lead compounds for all we know.

I'm the one who originally posted and did the research three or four (or five?) threads ago, but you are correct it is a good thing to repeat. I warn everyone that asks about it.

So by your logic a product from a one man operation with no marketing, no distribution, no R and D, no testing, and most importantly no MSDS is safer then a product with all of those things that contains silica? It very well may be, nobody really knows for sure. How do we know it does not contain asbestos? It was only a few years ago the nations biggest vermiculite mine was shut down due to asbestos, and that is a product that has been on the market just as long as blue cloud, has a much larger operation, a comparatively HUGE market, R and D, MSDS's, the full shot. On top of that old time ranchers have been telling people for years to limit inhilation of known chinchilla dusts because there was enough anecdotal evidence to assume long term exposure leads to lung disease.

I know all about silica, working in the union building trades I have to have safety training on the risks of exposure to it before I can even step onto a job site. It's not something to be taken lightly. That said I personally use sweet PDZ. I also raise my animal very different then many of you. They are in their own building not at all connected to my house, I leave the room instantly whenever I give them fresh dust, I do not handle them on a daily basis, and in general do not spent a huge amount of time exposed to the dust. If my chins were housed in my home, and I had children who were handling them daily I would probably not use it, but I would not feel any better about using blue cloud.

Without a suitable dust with a MSDS that reads favorable this is really a useless conversation...and I am not sure we have such a dust. Anybody know? I'd love to her Randy and/or Jeri's take on this one if you guys happen to read it.

I am going to agree with Tara and Jeff. No dust is safe to breathe in, I don't care whether it's got silica in it or not. I have asthma. When I dust and forget to wear a mask, I come out of the barn feeling like there is a 300 pound elephant on my chest. Whether it's blue cloud or blue sparkle, it makes no difference. Humans are not meant to breathe in huge quantities of what is essentially ground up rocks. To me, none of it is safe. I take what precautions I can. In the barn that's windows open, vent blowing, and wearing a mask. In the house I shut the chin room door until everything settles and try to have the front door open and a fan blowing to clear the air. I have an excellent air filter in the chin room in the house, but it stopped working and I need to replace it.

Yup, that was me. ;)
I mix corn starch and baking soda for most of my chins. I only use the bluecloud on ones going to show and still present it mixed to keep my allergies under control.

I tried this tonight at Herby's bath time and she took one look at it, and tried to eat it! After about 5 minutes of sitting in it, she finally took a roll in it and loved it! Except it turned her normally gray fur all white! She looked like a ghost chin...;)

No dust is safe to inhale....Like Peggy said. I tend to just not wear a mask ( I really really should) but my health has improved so much since my chinchillas are no longer in my room. I used to have constant respiratory issues. Now I have been so much better

Yup, that was me. ;)
I wouldn't put baking soda on any animal that grooms. They will lick it off and sodium levels will be through the roof.

I wouldn't put baking soda on any animal that grooms. They will lick it off and sodium levels will be through the roof.
?? It's sodium bicarbonate.

Corn starch would probably be the worse of the two. That stuff is cool, when you add just enough water to make a paste it is solid so long as it is in motion (handle it). As soon as you stop it turns liquidy and runs through your fingers. Pretty cool.

I have pretty severe allergy induced asthma. My doctor had me try Singulair 10mg tabs along with Advair 250/50. The combination is the best I've ever had and have used it with much success for the past few years. It works so well that I'm practically "normal" around the animals. Perhaps you could ask your doc about trying Singulair as well. Geez, I sound like a commercial.

Funny you should mention that (not really) we seen this allergist Tue and he put him back on Singulair 5mg. He also had to give him on steroid. His peak flow was way down. My poor baby. I have to give something else a try. Can't wait for income tax. I am getting a air purifier just for his room and one the chin room.

Back