Sweet baby Marlow :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin_gal

Me? Addicted?
My sweet boy Marlow passed away today. I have no idea what happened.. I found him on the cage floor with his cage mates around him. I just came back from dropping him off for a necropsy, I'm really hoping they find something. This just totally took me by surprise, I have cried my eyes out since the moment I found him. :cry3: My mom and I examined him when we found him, his eyes were clear, his mouth and nose had no discharge, his chest was dry... I just have no idea what happened. He was fine this morning. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that I took him to the chinchilla show, but he still didn't have any symptoms, even after death.

I have his two cagemates seperated in a carrier out of the cage. As far as disinfecting goes, I already got a solution from Kelly but what about the wood in the cage? Should that be thrown out? I can just wash the fleece.

Thanks for listening everyone. RIP Marlow, my sweet beautiful boy.

HPIM7373Custom.jpg

Marlow12.jpg

Marlow6.jpg

Marlow3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Brittney, I'm so so sorry to hear about Marlow. I can't believe this...he was fine at the show.

I'll be keeping you and your family (furry and human) in my prayers. :heart5:

I am so sorry for your loss, I had a little chin boy that looked just like Marlow pass away for no apparent reason as well a few years ago. My thoughts our with you

Brittney, regarding the wood: I remember reading on CnQ that to disinfect wood, you should sand it down, scrub it with a bleach and water solution, and then let it dry in the sun (the sun will neutralize the bleach).

Thank you so much. I've heard these things just happen, I just never thought it'd happen to me. It just took me by surprise.. He was only 2 years old, I just got him from the show last year.

I can sand and scrub the ledges, but what about the wood house? That wouldn't be so easy to sand. Just build a new one?

Oh no, I'm so sorry, he was beautiful. I hope you find out what happened to him. Rest in peace Marlow.

Im so sorry to hear about Marlow keep us posted when you find out what happened :( you will be in my and my chinnie kids thoughts and prayers!

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! I hope you can find some answers. He was a very beautiful boy. May he rest peacefully.

Thank you so much. I don't think it will ever stop hurting. :( The most I can do now is keep my others safe. Dr. Herko said he'd call me tomorrow with results.

Brittney,
I'm so sorry to hear about Marlow's passing. He was a sweet loving little boy and may he always have a special place in your heart.

So sorry to hear about your little Marlow. He looks so plush and sweet. He'll be
missed dearly.

Thank you so much. He was such a sweet loving boy. :( I still find myself looking for him in the cage or thinking about seeing him.. it's almost like it hasn't completely sunk in yet.

And I still haven't heard back from the vet yet. At what point should I call myself? Or should I just be patient?

I'm not sure if it's worse when you know it's coming or when you find them like that. Either way though, it's just awful and I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much Peggy. You are right though, it's painful either way. But.. I do like being with them when they go, at least I get to say good-bye.
Got the results back. It was intussusception, which was something wrong with his intestines. I posted a thread on it in the health section. Thank you again everyone for your kind words. :hug4:

Thank you guys. I just came in from burrying him. RIP my baby. :(

Thank you everyone for all your support. I'm so glad I have you guys here. :hug4:

Back