Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orlandochins

On Dec 8 my Heidi gave birth to 2 boys and I had separated her mate on Dec 5.
On January 24 her mate (who had been separated from her the entire time) had a stroke and passed away.
Also to add to the matter Heidi had gotten a fur fungus right before she delivered and lost all her fur (Only thing I can figure is she had spilled her water one day while I was at work and she sat on wet fleece until I got home and noticed it)
Anywas, back to my story: Heidi has not been with any chins since Dec 5...I intended to give her a break from breeding

So, last night I got home and noticed my 3 cats sitting together looking at the corner. Since this is not normal behavior for them I went to see what they were looking at and low and behold there was a chinchilla kit sitting on the floor. The chin was a standard gray and looked like one of the kits born last week. So I went to put it back in the cage and when I looked into the cage all the kits that were supposed to be in that cage were in there. So, needless to say I was stumped. None of my other chins were supposed to be preggers so I was quite confused. I started checking every cage to look for signs of delivery (other kits, afterbirth, etc) and nothing....I have 4 other females in FN but none of them had been with a male for a loooooong time...but I decided to check them anyways, and lo and behold I find a kit trying to squeeze out of Heidis cage and there is afterbirth in the cage. So I grab the other kit and put both kits in a carrier while I prepare to clean my baby proof cage. I get the cage set up and put momma in the cage. I looked briefly around the cage to make sure it is kit free and notice that there are 3 placentas....3!!!!! So I start moving stuff in her cage and find a 3rd kit in the hidey house....
So altogether Heidi had 3 standard gray kits
I weighed them and they are huge for triplets....57, 59 and 60 grams!!!!

Someone had asked how it was I didn't notice she was pregnant and all I can say is that she had grown her hair back in and I had assumed that she looked bigger to me because she had gone so long with no hair....also she had been by herself and eating all of her food and I had switched food so I also thought she had gained weight from the food change......and I had figured that since dad was separated 3 days before that things were ok.....never in a million years did it ever cross my mind that he mated while she was preggers and she got pregnant again....

Mom is doing great and being a fantastic mom...and needless to say she will not be bred for a long time...she gets a well deserved break....but I have to admit that it is great to know that Dale left me a little surprise before he passed

Crysta I know why you asked but just figured I would put it out there before someone else asked...lol

These three are trouble!!!!! Everytime I have to open the cage they are trying to jump out....I put food in the cage and they try to ambush me to get out....I had to clean cages today and I look over and they are climbing the cage...lol....these three will be a handful but I guess I was due considering all of my other ones have been so tame...lol

I just moved and still unpacking. I am hoping to find my camera soon so that I can get pics

Happy surprise. Congrats! I'm thrilled to hear the kits are healthy and mom is going great.

SO sweet that Papa chin left you 3 little gifts before he went to chinnie heaven. Hopefully one will be a male that looks like him? And how funny that your cats just watched the kit for however long...do you think the kit was there long? I'm going to assume that your cats wouldn't gobble up a kit at first sight, and maybe they were more curious and interested in watching it crawl around than on sniffing and licking and biting it ;]

haha your kitties are sure as cute as the kits! anyway congrats on your additions! Pics please! =D

My cats are pretty cool in regards to the chins...that day when I came home they were just staring at the chins and that was it. A few days ago I was cleaning the cages and I have a few chins that are about 12 weeks old and one got out when I removed the tray from the cage. I had missed him jumping out but noticed he was gone when I was sliding the tray back into the cage...I started looking around and noticed that the door to the room was open just a little and started to panic. Then what I saw in the hallway made my heart stop. My biggest cat (he is 18 lbs) was carrying the chin in his mouth. He walked up to my feet and dropped the chin. The chin started to run and he put his paw over him. The chin stopped and I scooped him up.....not one scratch or bite on him. It was amazing.

Sorry there aren't pics but, I have recently moved, plus work full time plus grad school full time....and to top it off a few days after moving I got the flu, so needless to say unpacking was pushed to the side for now.

My cats are pretty cool in regards to the chins... My biggest cat (he is 18 lbs) was carrying the chin in his mouth. He walked up to my feet and dropped the chin. The chin started to run and he put his paw over him. The chin stopped and I scooped him up.....not one scratch or bite on him. It was amazing.

Hoooo-- leeeeeee-- cow. That was a darn lucky break! None of the cats in this house would be that understanding of a 12 week old kit. The dog, maybe, but not the cats.

My cats are pretty cool in regards to the chins...that day when I came home they were just staring at the chins and that was it. A few days ago I was cleaning the cages and I have a few chins that are about 12 weeks old and one got out when I removed the tray from the cage. I had missed him jumping out but noticed he was gone when I was sliding the tray back into the cage...I started looking around and noticed that the door to the room was open just a little and started to panic. Then what I saw in the hallway made my heart stop. My biggest cat (he is 18 lbs) was carrying the chin in his mouth. He walked up to my feet and dropped the chin. The chin started to run and he put his paw over him. The chin stopped and I scooped him up.....not one scratch or bite on him. It was amazing.

Amazing! Is the cat a female? Maybe it was mothering instinct.
My roommate's cat is like that with my chins, Mork especially-He likes to poke him. Mork will be perched on the top ledge of his cage, and Milo will jump up and sit on the top of the cage with his paw poking through, dangling over Mork's back. Occasionally he'll poke Mork, who will squeak and run around the cage but eventually settle right back where he was. The first time I saw Milo do that I was scared, but I saw he hadn't extended his claws at all, and he hasn't hurt Mork (or Rodya/Sonya/Ivan) to this day. :)

Actually, the cat is a male cat....and even though he is 18 lbs he is not a fat cat....he is just a big cat...lol
His sister weighs 12 pounds and she is just as sweet but she is scared of the chns
Now Sydney is 6 pounds and I think she would be the one that might be tempted to hurt a chin....
London (the 18 pounder) is called the chinchilla wrangler...he walks through the room with me when I do cage checks and the cages he can see into he checks them out...and one of the last sets of kits that were born I was there and got to see it and he sat in my lap watching the entire time....he really is awesome!!!!!

Oooh - I've had cats for my whole life but that sounds a little dangerous. Cats can and will extend claws at a moment's notice, and that could be a bad situation. At least from my experince

Amazing! Is the cat a female? Maybe it was mothering instinct.
My roommate's cat is like that with my chins, Mork especially-He likes to poke him. Mork will be perched on the top ledge of his cage, and Milo will jump up and sit on the top of the cage with his paw poking through, dangling over Mork's back. Occasionally he'll poke Mork, who will squeak and run around the cage but eventually settle right back where he was. The first time I saw Milo do that I was scared, but I saw he hadn't extended his claws at all, and he hasn't hurt Mork (or Rodya/Sonya/Ivan) to this day. :)

Oooh - I've had cats for my whole life but that sounds a little dangerous. Cats can and will extend claws at a moment's notice, and that could be a bad situation. At least from my experince

I have 10 cats, most of them I would trust with my chin..except Eva..she wants to eat him, my ferret, my mouse...cat just wants to eat everything & anything!

Okay, I'll be sure to keep him away from their cages from now on. Thanks for the info, he's the first cat I've ever 'owned' (He belongs to my roommate, but obv the house is MILO'S, he is the supreme cat ruler of all. Lol.)

Latest posts

Back