Supplementing mother's milk

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfstache

Beware the 2 headed chin
I've often heard that goat's milk is the number one choice, but having failed to find any so far, would it be advisable to use Manna Pro Nurse-All?

http://http://www.tractorsupply.com/manna-pro-reg-nurse-all-reg-3-5-lb--2201466

I'd never had a need to supplement before, but my recent (and first ever) litter of quads has made me aware that having a proper supplement on hand at all times is a must.

If you have a Walmart near you, they tend to carry fresh and canned goats milk. If I remember correctly, they keep the canned goats milk in the baking section or where you find evaporated milk. I've used a similar milk replacer as the one you have listed without any problems.

Pookinaround, if you're reading this...its not my fault!!! :neener:

;) Pook spies EVERYTHING!!! Didn't take me long either! Pookie power private eye!

Yes it is in the baking section like Javachin said annnnd the fresh should be in the dairy freezer case. Always double check the date on that though...

Last edited:
We have a wal-mart right down the street, but on the night I decided we needed the goats milk I went there and couldn't find any. When I couldn't find any I called my wife and she did some searching online (unfortunately not on this site since she's not a member) and saw somewhere that another site recommended KMR....so on that recommendation we used it, and now a week later my two babies that were feeding on the KMR have both passed away. I think its really upsetting how much bad information there is out there. Really stinks. My first ever litter of quads, two ebonies, a pink white and a standard, and now the only survivor is the standard. (one eb died shortly after a hard breached birth, and now the other two likely due to KMR) I guess its fortunate that the standard wasn't really wanting to take the formula.

KMR is for cats, but I would be surprised if that's what killed your kits. I know of many people who have used it with no problem. I would not recommend it, I would use goat's milk.

To the OP - Did you check the baking section? It's in with the condensed and evaporated milk.

KMR is for cats, but I would be surprised if that's what killed your kits. I know of many people who have used it with no problem. I would not recommend it, I would use goat's milk.

To the OP - Did you check the baking section? It's in with the condensed and evaporated milk.

At the time I hadn't thought to look in the baking section. I've never bought it before, but thought it would be either in the dairy section or in the pet section as a supplement. They may carry it in the dairy section, but the wal-mart that is close to me seems to never keep the dairy section stocked well, so it didn't surprise me to not find any there when I checked. I'll have to check again now that I know to look in the baking section.

After having looked more closely at the protein and stuff in the different formulas I saw that KMR has 42% protein whereas the stuff I listed in the link that seems like a better choice is 24% protein. My thought was that the higher protein may have been too much for the babies kidneys to handle. If it wasn't that, then I can't imagine what would have caused them to both die so rapidly while gaining weight. I just wish I knew for sure either way.

Sometimes grocery stores stock the fresh goats milk in the organic section of the store, I know that mine does. It is not in the regular dairy case but in a much smaller dairy case at the back of the store with other organic items. Check there.

So sorry for your loss.
My Walmart keeps the canned goats milk in the baking section with the sweetened condensed milk and canned evaporated milk. It is the liquid can. Company is Meyenberg.

Here is a link for their company. I have also found the powder at a health food store and used it for a kit here a while back. It's a big can. However it is really tasty to use in coffee or mix to drink. Very sweet and creamy.

http://meyenberg.com/index.php?page=goat-milk-products

The web page also lists a spot for animal use. Although they don't have chinchilla use.........I think I might have to let them know. ;)
http://meyenberg.com/index.php?page=breeders-veterinarians

I've been using Almond milk mixed with baby cereal for the last year because that is what I drink/have around the house. It works as a supplemental milk but if I were to need to completely hand feed I'd crack open a can of goat's milk.

Since I've only been using it for a year I can't tell you what long term effects it has but the ones I've used it on are healthy looking and one is about to go into breeding.

I did quite a bit of research into this a few years back and horse/camel milk is the closest to chinchilla milk. If you check the articles section you will find a composite of what chinchilla milk is made up of, and there really isn't anything like it on the market right now.

Last edited:
If you can't find the goats milk in the baking aisle check by the non-refrigerated rice/soy/almond milk section (probably same aisle as coffee and tea). That's where the canned stuff was at the grocery store I worked at.

I haven't had good luck with canned goat's milk. I think the canning process changes the taste. That said, if you have a Publix or Whole Foods near you, both carry fresh goat's milk.

Stater Brothers carries both the canned and powdered. It is in with the evaporated milk. Ralph's carries the fresh in a small carton. You will find it in the same area as the cream.

Thanks everyone. I went back out today and found some of the fresh goats milk. So now the only question I have is do you normally warm it first, or just give it cold?

I warm the milk, it makes it more palatable to the babies.

Also, litters of quads are not exactly the hardiest of litters. I have had one litter of quads that all kits made it to weaning and I had no sleep for over two months while I rotated two in and two out every 3 hours or so.

I think at least one source of shelf stable (dry or canned) goat milk would be good for emergencies in case its midnight or your local stores are out of fresh the next time you need it.

So sorry to hear about your little ones, its always more heartbreaking to loose kits after they have lived a few days under your care. =< Btw, it seemed like this might have been the first time you hand fed, are you sure you didn't aspirate a kit? Might be worth it to have someone show you a feeding technique in person if it was your first first time.

Edit: you kept them warm and comfortable and that is a better way to go then starvation, don't beat your self up to much with the loss.

I always have a can of the goats milk on hand, I get it at Walmart in the baking section. By me, only the super Walmart has it -- I have a "regular" Walmart much closer to me that has groceries....but considerably less of them, and they do not carry it. I prefer the fresh (which a local grocery store carries) but I keep a can or two on hand so I don't have to run to the store immediately should the need to handfeed arise. But if you keep some on hand, be aware it will eventually expire....

Back