Super Pet Glass Water Bottle

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK23

So I had to buy my chin a new water bottle because his last one got knocked off and broken, and was in a rush so I went to petsmart and got the superpet glass water bottle. This was two days ago, and he has barely drank any of the water. I read on here that you have to "start" the water bottle before you put it in, which I do, and water comes out when I do that, but he seems to be going up to it to drink and the level has hardly gone down. Should I wait to see if he is just getting the hang of it, or buy a new one? I have read that the lixit water bottles are good but I would have to order it online and wait for it to get shipped. I'm just getting nervous because I'm afraid he isn't getting water. Any suggestions?

I would give him a bowl if you are worried about him, just in case. I had one of those water bottles and it leaked like mad.... My chin doesn't drink very much water, so maybe yours is the same way.

My worry with a bowl is that he would get himself wet. Has anyone temporarily tried this? Are there any other alternatives I could try while I wait for a second water bottle to be shipped? He drank much more water with his last bottle than he has with this one.

I would be careful giving a bowl, as it could get knocked over and do some damage to the chins fur and cause a myriad of problems, such as fungus. To see is he is drinking, get a magic marker and mark the water line where it is now. This way you can see if the water level is going down.

If you are worried about him drinking or not drinking, you can give him some water in a syringe and get him to drink this way, while you get a new water bottle or wait for it to be delivered. I have the same water bottles for all of my chins, and there are days it looks like they have not drunk any of the water, but I can tell they have by how much they pee and by doing that water line trick.

If you take the nozzel off, and tilt it upside down, does the ball move or is it spring loaded? I find that chins do not like spring loaded nozzels and they won't use them. If you have the old nozzel from the old bottle use that with the super pet body and see what happens.

I would advise against a bowl.
Like said above, mark the water line. How old is your chin? You can split a raisin in half and gently rub the raisin on the spout of the water bottle. Just enough to encourage him to lick it.
It could be that he needs to get used to this type of bottle. Each brand is a little different.

His last water bottle was a Superpet one as well but was a different one. I am going to check when I get back to my apartment and see if it has a spring. When I push my finger on it water does come out and bubbles rise up, so maybe he is just adjusting to it? Also, he is 6 months old. Thank you for all of the advice!!

I've had the Super Pet bottles since they first came out, and helpful in the "modifications" made, so they flow better. [Company is about 5 miles away]
There are 2 balls in the nozzle to prevent 'backflow', and they are NOT spring loaded, hence the reason for 'starting' them. Air sometimes gets between the balls, and is hard to remove.
Funny, others mentioning leaks - one of my originals did it last week, after about 7 years!
I've had real good luck with them, myself.

Do younger chins usually drink less water or does it all really just depend?

I love the superpet glass bottle it works the new ones you just have to pump it with your finger for at least two minutes so it can get used to the pressure and what not. Just pump it till you feel that every time you pump there's water coming out. Than it should be ok.

OH! and also don't fill the water all the way to the top of the bottle. leave a little bit of space because sometimes you fill the water all the way there's no space for the air from the pumping so the water cannot get out. Try that first, leave a little bit of space for air. Maybe that's why it's not coming out cuz there's no space for the air to go lol. Let us know how it goes. Another thing i love about glass bottles is that it's easier to sanitize. take off the top and put the glass part into hot boiling water and let sit for 2 minutes and rise with cold water and just throw the top party where the chins drink into the boiling water for 5 seconds and take out and rinse. Simple right? =)

Make sure you don't drop these bottles! I dropped one yesterday (the smaller one) from 4' up with it full of water. It smashed into hundreds of bits all over my carpet and I have several cuts up my leg from the glass came back up and swiped me... ow!

Otherwise, these bottles have done fine for me. Most of mine chew their bottles so it is a good alternative to plastic.

Ouch!! Last night when I went to check the water bottle, it SEEMED to be working when I hit my hand, but everytime I would even touch it Louie would run over to get water, and at one point I was holding it and he drank, or tried to drink, out of it for a good 10 minutes. Maybe he just has a hard time with this type of bottle? I thought I had to order the Lixit bottles online, but now that I know that they are at Petsmart, I am going to get one today!! I am sure that both he and I just need to get the hang of this water bottle, but since I know it can get stopped up sometimes and the water level has hardly gone down, getting the lixit bottle will give me peace of mind.:)

I just wanted to give a quick update that I exchanged the Superpet water bottle for the Lixit water bottle on friday, and it is working a million times better for my chin!!:dance3: I guess the other bottle just wasn't his style.:)

Latest posts

Back