Sunseed supplement drops?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
How will I know if these vitamin drops are worthwhile? They are sunseed brand and have these ingredients per ounce

Vit A 30,000 IU
Vit D3 2,400 IU
Vit B6 6mg
Thiamine 18mg
Riboflavin 25.8mg
Vit C Absorbic Acid 300mg
Niacin 120mg

My chins are already on Mazuri and I wonder if this is a good idea?

Is it the type of drops that go into the water? If so, don't use them. Mazuri is a good enough diet that your chin doesn't need any other vitamins.

Not only that, but leaving the vitamins in the water makes the water get gross faster, and I believe that some of the vitamins break down rather rapidly making it not very effective.

It can also make the water taste funny and the chins reduce important water intake!

With a well balanced diet chins don't need anything! No salt, no minerals, no vitamins.

If you're worried about your chins healthy ( with a cause) you might want to change foods, Mazuri doesn't do well with some chins. If your chins are doing good on it, but you just want to give them a little "extra" go with a good probiotic like acidophilus tablets. 1/4 tab, they usually take it like a treat.

Thank you! Will do with the acidophilus tablets... also how do you feel about the different feed supplements like Ryersons? there are some with flax, sunflower, etc that say to mix into food (1/2 tsp) once a day.

Personally I don't feed any supplements, I don't see the point in spending the money. Sometimes people will use them for breeding chins to keep their weight on and provide extra nutrients, but really pet chins getting hay and pellets have all the nutrients they need.

NEVER mix supplement into your chins pellets. You must always give supplement as a side dish, so that they don't pick the supplement out and stop eating the food that they need.

Ryerson's supplement is used by many, many people and has been tested over many years on 1000s of chinchillas. I would trust it. Others? Not so much. It seems like everybody who has a chin nowadays has a supplement they made up and "tested" on their 2 or 4 animals. Sorry, that's not nearly enough for me to say it's safe.

I agree with Tunes. Use a separate dish for their supplement. Otherwise you will create a pellet digger. I use Ryerson's supplement. I figure they should know what they are doing.

Latest posts

Back